1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Herpes] Cold Sore [luckily only on the face]

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by InaRut, Feb 21, 2008.

1. InaRut

Alright I'm getting pretty fed up with this... but every winter I seem to have a major break out of coldsores, I don't know why but febuaray seems to hate me in terms of viral infestations creating scabby and disgusting looking things on the corner of my mouth.

Now people at work just say burn it away with alcohol or aftershave...
    I've been using abreva ($20 a tube by the way is a MAJOR rip off) and it's not as bad as last year that's for sure.

Anyone else got this problem? And what's your remedy?

2. otheus

i remember your pain. until recently, i used to get real nasty ones, in multiples, year round.

my favored treatment was called herpecin-L. i'm not sure if thats available to you. abreva works better for sore prevention, but i dont think its worth the cost AT ALL. herpecin is cheaper, applies like lipstick, and tasted like vanilla.

mine were specifically related to my allergies. when my nose was plugged, i would breath only through my mouth. my lips would dry and crack. then BAM scabby sores oozing out of the cracks :[ february is very dry, so try to always keep your lips protected with chapstick or something. and if you pay attention, you should feel your lip get tingly about a day before a cold sore actually appears. this is when abreva is best applied, but i found that washing my tingly lips with soap throughout the day helped a lot--cheaper too. for me, a soap-chapstick-herpecin combo helped them from taking over my whole face when one did erupt.

for me, moving has ridded me of my allergies :grin: and thus any outbreaks. except for one rogue allergy season last spring >:[

p.s. im no expert, but i wouldnt further irritate a sore with alcohol or aftershave