1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alfred Kinsey's Scale

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Proud1p4, Jun 27, 2006.

?

Rank Yourself (follow and read the link first)

1. 0 - Exclusively heterosexual

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1 - Predominantly heterosexual, only incidentally homosexual

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. 2 - Predominantly heterosexual, but more incidentally homosexual

6 vote(s)
    2.7%
  4. 3 - Equally heterosexual and homosexual

14 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. 4 - Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual

46 vote(s)
    20.4%
  6. 5 - Predominantlyhomosexual, only incidentally heterosexual

98 vote(s)
    43.6%
  7. 6 - Exclusively homosexual

58 vote(s)
    25.8%
  1. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_scale

Anyone else ever heard of him? I think its fasinating. What do you rank on his scale of sexuality...please, do vote :slight_smile:.

I rank a 5.5 but i voted 5..

and for those with a little lower vocabulary:
    prodominantly; "for the most part/mostly"
    incidently; every now and then (in this context)

#1 Proud1p4, Jun 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
  2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Interesting post, proud. :slight_smile:

Well I have never been even remotely attracted to the opposite sex, even when I was in the closet and pretending to be straight, so I reckon I am a 6.

3. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well so far we got a presque bi and a straight as a circle:slight_smile: keep the votes coming guys and girls, see where we all fall in place...

4. chrisg

Probably 5.

5. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

*gasp* some people have voted and not posted... common ppl post and let us kno what you voted:slight_smile:

6. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

It happens:wink:

7. Mnstn

I voted a 5, I label myself as a bisexual but I dont feel I am equally attracted to men and women.

8. Micah

I find it amusing, as I labell myself gay, yet voted a 4. I've had multiple girlfriends, who I've been attracted to. While the attraction was, for the most part, an emotion, rather than physical one, it was none the less still there.

9. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well then wouldnt you say you're more of a 4 or a 2 (dependant on which way you sway)? Just an observation, i have no clue what you'd be nor' does anybody else but you.

Yes it is actually, very interesting is what i prefer to use.

10. lost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went for 4, because of pretty much what Dave said: I'm conscious that I am much more gay than I am straight, but I do have some more than casual straight tendancies and still label myself as gay.

11. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

The poll is looking pretty nice...alot of diversity starting to happen...of course i dont expect anyone here to mark lower than a 2 but it would be interesting to see (no one lie about it now and say you're a 2 if you really feel something else lol). So far we got 4, 5 and 6's ... keep the votes coming:slight_smile:

12. Jo A

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I'm that "3" that just appeared... What I've been through kinda caused me to ask myself all manner of questions about sexuality and gender. I'm now at a point where the gender of someone I'm attracted to seems to be so far down the list of things that make me feel attracted to them that it dropped off the bottom of the list...

...which is maybe interesting...

I identify as "pansexual" - though as it's possibly confusing sometimes just stick with "bi" as it's something more people understand. But with a partner who's gender doesn't fit into the binary of male/female - "bi" would technically exclude my partner...

...which might also be interesting...

Feel free to start a discussion on "What is gender?" or something; I have perhaps an interesting insight...

Jo

#13 Jo A, Jun 29, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2006
  13. chrisg

Well, gender is the behavior associated with one's sex by a social construct, such as a particular upbringing or socialization. For instance, males are expected to have a "masculine" gender, while females should have a "feminine" gender. Complete bullshit, of course, but that's the way Western society deals with sex and gender: through dualisms. In other words, society finds it impossible that a male should be feminine, or that a female should be masculine. Just a thought.

14. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

By all means start a "What is gender" thread i wouldnt mind hearing some insights on the subject, i think itd be interesting...although i have to say...i myself wouldnt or wouldnt be able to contrbiute to such a thread...although im "born old" that certainly not an area where i would have any insight. Blessed be!

PS: Common, Closeter's dont stop there...keep voting for those who havent voted and for those who have, keep checking back to see any new posts or updates in the poll :thumbsup:

15. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Done! :slight_smile:

16. Triplume

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Kinsey's work definitely had amazing longterm effects. Has anyone seen the semi-biographical movie Kinsey?

I'm probably a 5, by the way.

17. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes... it's an awesome movie. It made me actually appreciate Laura Linney.

18. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It should be noted that Kinsey applied his scale to two distinct aspects, who you were attracted to/fantasised about and who you had actually had sex with. Basically he made the very important distinction between feelings and behaviour.

19. LowestVocal017

The only thing that would stand in the way of the poll results being completely truthful is that we are not 100 garentee of ourselves that we are what we say we are. For example, I voted a 4 (actually, I'm more of a 4.5, I THINK), but I my science may say I'm truly a 5. Social factors may play a part in what we think we are on the scale.