1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testicular Cancer

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Paul_UK, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Testicular Cancer
    Dr Rob Hicks

Testicular cancer is the most common cancer affecting young men in the UK.

What are the symptoms?

The first sign is usually a swelling of one of the testicles or a hard pea-size lump on the front or side of the testicle. Sometimes there may be a dull ache or a sharp pain felt around the testicle or in the scrotum.

Self-examination

Self-examination is best done in or after a bath or shower when the scrotum is relaxed. Holding your scrotum in the palms of your hands, use your fingers and thumbs to examine the shape, consistency and smoothness of the testicles.

It's not unusual for one testicle to be slightly smaller than the other or for one to hang lower. But if something doesn't feel right, get it checked by the doctor - don't ignore it.

How common is it?

Testicular cancer affects one in 450 men before the age of 50 and is the most common cancer in men between the ages of 15 and 45. In the UK, the number of cases has doubled in the past 20 years and around 2,000 new cases are diagnosed each year.

What causes it?

Its cause isn't known, but men who've had undescended testicles and those with a close male relative who's had testicular cancer are more at risk.

There are no guaranteed ways of preventing testicular cancer. However, if undescended testicles are corrected before a boy is ten years old, his risk of developing testicular cancer drops back to the average level. Regular exercise may also reduce the risk.

What's the treatment?

Testicular cancer is one of the most curable cancers, with around 90 per cent of men making a full recovery. The affected testicle is removed surgically. If the cancer hasn't spread, further treatment may not be necessary. If it has, chemotherapy is usually given. Radiotherapy is sometimes used in the early stages.

Having a testicle removed shouldn't affect a man's sex life or his chance of becoming a dad.

-------​

The information above was taken from http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/testicularcancer1.shtml

More information is available here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testicular_cancer.

2. Alec89

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was quite scared at one point when I found a small hard lump on one testical, however it turned out after a U-S-scan that it was infact a small lump of calcium - like a little bone fragment, but nothing dangerous. So its not always bad, sometimes its harmless. But to repeat whats already been said, if you notice anything different get it checked right away by a doctor.

3. shovelman

A while back I felt something and I got it checkout out and it turned out to be a testicular cyst which is not cancerous and there usually not uncomfortable, I have never felt any sort of pain or discomfort but I guess that's not always the case with other men. Just remember to do regular self checkups and if you feel something unusual see a doctor and don't be too scared to think it might be cancer right away because it isn't always what it seems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.