1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thought that now I had bf, everything would be OK...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by hideinyourshel, Aug 19, 2007.

1. hideinyourshel

This could be a long story, so for those who don't feel up to it, Supertramp have summarised it in one line from their song, Hide In Your Shell:

"I as a boy, I believed the saying the cure for pain was love"

which it most certainly isn't!:icon_wink

Crap - now I sound all sentimental, but I just thought they summed my feelings up quite well. Anyway, I'd better start my story from the beginning:

I am 14. I know that's quite young to be certain of my sexuality, but I am quite developed (I hit puberty very early) and I'm not absolutely sure where I stand, but I don't think it's just a phase. I have recently had a long period of my life dominated by a huge crush on a (needless to say,) straight boy who I hardly knew (sad isn't it :icon_sad: but I'm mostly over him now :icon_bigg )

During this time, I wasn't very happy and told a few close friends about this (of course, now the whole school knows, but that's another story!) One of them actually told me that he felt similar feelings about another boy, and it was really nice to talk to him about everything. We became closer now that we had something to talk about and similar feelings. I started to half-jokingly become quite affectionate with him, and one night, under really bizarre circumstances (too complicated to explain...) we ended up in each others arms. Just before we went to bed, I gave him a quick peck on the cheek. :kiss: Of course, I was really happy and a few times in the following few days, when we were alone, we had a quick hug and I kissed him, but he didn't want to kiss me. :icon_sad:

Just realised this is getting quite long and nothing interesting has happened. Anyway, I'll go on and speed up:
    I then invited him on holiday with my family and my other best friend (who was coming already and just happened to be a devout Catholic... :eusa_doh: ) and he stayed one night before we set off. It was great - we lay in bed together for three hours, hugged a lot, and he eventually French kissed me, but not after some delay!

That was great, but for the rest of the holiday, he sort of ignored me :icon_sad: - he did show me affection a few times but I always started it and most of the time he would just push me away if I put my arm around him, for example (we were in a locked bedroom, so he had nothing to fear) I got rather hurt by this, and told him so. He made some comment about me being like a 'petulant three year old'. Anyway, he did show me some affection, so I think he still feels something for me.

However, I don't understand his change of heart. I think he might be afraid of being gay, which is why he didn't want to kiss me in the first place. He has quite conservative parents whom he is petrified of telling or of them finding out. I think I have two worries:
    Firstly, I think I am in love with him and I want him to feel the same way back. I would be so upset if he 'dumped' me, especially if it was just because I was a boy.
    Secondly, if he does like me, I really need his affection (sounds silly, but I don't think he requires as much attention! [sounds really stupid now:icon_wink ]) I'm sure he is quite content to have a 'passive' relationship, but I need to be hugged etc. and I'm afraid he will be too paranoid at school and just ignore me which would make feel really crap. And I can't really see him out of school.

These seem really stupid reasons, and looking back on the post I feel like I'm taking up too much of your time, but I can't think why I'm so unhappy. I really need someone in my life and sort of just assumed that everything would be OK once I had a boyfriend. But I still feel like shit and now I have even more worries. I also don't want to lose my best friend.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do or how he is feeling? Has anyone else experienced a simmilar situation? :help: It doesn't seem like much, but any comments or messages would make me feel so much better:icon_bigg

Thank you so much for reading this. (*hug*)

2. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

Ok' i think the best thing to do is to approach him and get his side of the story so that you can piece together what is going on

3. hideinyourshel

Thanks. One of my close friends is gay (he's 17,) and he's also good friends with this boy, so I might get him to ask him about it.

4. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

I think you should ask him directly instead of through someone else.

5. hideinyourshel

I did sort of ask him and he didn't really seem able to give an answer, so I didn't push it. He just went quiet. I think he would be quite embarrassed telling me, but he is really great friends with this other person. I dunno... I might try asking him again, but I don't want to make him feel uncomfortable.

6. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

Try to coax him into it by making him as comfortable as possible (worked for me in the past)

7. hideinyourshel

What do u mean by that? Do u just mean that I should pick a good time (when he's relaxed and willing to talk), or should I lead up to the subject, or what?

Anyway, please don't be offended if I don't reply - I'm shattered and am about to go to bed. Thank you very much for your advice and good luck with coming out.

8. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

Yeah i mean a good time for him, make him comfortable physically that sort of thing.

9. hideinyourshel

think i see what you mean... :slight_smile:
    thanks

10. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

No problem i had to have a similar discussion with an ex-boyfriend.

11. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    i'd have to agree with what thenedoftime says on this one... confront him, but only when the time is right. Otherwise he's likely just to go on the defensive and you're not going to get anything out of him. People are more likely to say what's really on their mind when they're comfortable.

And nedoftime... might I say you're very mature for your age. Good man!!!

12. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

Thankyou very much!
    I'm a child usually until something big comes along (like this)

13. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    aren't we all!!!

14. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I know the feeling. (*hug*)

15. CrimsonThunder

I think he might be a bit scared and homophobic (which is something alot of gay people go through)

16. Friend

Friend Guest

my advice may not be best, seeing as i've never been in this situation (i've never even KISSED a boy)

so

try being honest

tell him, in whole or in part, how you feel

or how he's making you feel

and if he turns ugly, then why would you love him anyway?

17. hideinyourshel

Thanks for the advice! (*hug*) I think I will talk to him about it and try to find a time when he will be most comfortable (any suggestions...? :icon_wink ) I'm a bit concerned that this won't make much of a difference, but I can't really do anything else, and at least he'll know my true feelings about it.

I don't think he'll 'turn ugly', as Friend put it, so everything should be OK. I just don't want to make him feel uncomfortable.

Thanks once again everyone, and I agree with jamieuk: you're very mature (and helpful!) nedoftime.

18. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think... well he's your age, right? I think most of the time I can hardly figure out how I feel in the kind of situation where things aren't clearcut, and I have the benefit of actually having had to face several of those types of situations and yeah, I guess experience helps but... maybe he just doesn't understand his own feelings for you? I mean if he has conservative parents and he's afraid of what people at school would say... well, I wouldn't necessarily dive into a relationship with someone in those circumstances. And can you really blame him?

I still find it difficult to be honest about my feelings in most charged situations; I can't imagine having had to try to explain them when I was 14. Just because you've come to an understanding of yourself and your feelings that you're comfortable with doesn't mean he has, or even that he can necessarily at this point.

I think maybe your point about love not being the cure for pain is the most salient thing you said. If you "need" someone to be in a relationship with you, then you are generally not really in a good space to be in a relationship. There's a huge difference between wanting to be in a relationship and needing it to fill some void you feel. That's why so many people say love happens when you're not looking for it... in fact love is best when you don't need it.

Being in a relationship doesn't solve anything. It does provide physical intimacy and (hopefully) emotional intimacy and your partner can help you handle things but it just doesn't... fix anything. I think most people think a relationship is some sort of cure-all and truly, it isn't. It makes some thing easier, sure, but it makes others harder.

19. hideinyourshel

Yes, he's my age. I think you're right about most things there (you have obviously defined your emotions better than I have - understandably considering my age!)

I think you have surmised my feelings excellently by saying
    I know I rambled quite a bit in my original post and didn't really hit on the real issue, but that's because I didn't really know what the real issue is! I can define most of what I feel, but not all (what you mean by 'not clearcut')

I also agree with you that he probably doesn't understand his feelings. I really get the impression that he feels something for me, but I think he has trouble expressing that or putting it into words or actions. I don't truly understand my feelings - I'm still a little nervous about putting a label on myself, for example, and I think he is the same, but I do know what I feel for him.

I do also recognise your point about needing to be in a relationship, however, I think the 'void' I need to fill is the fact that I don't have someone like him in my life. I know that a relationship isn't a cure-all (I think I might be hoping that it is, though:bang: ) but what I am really looking to cure is the emotional intimacy part
    I also think that in my case, and I'm sure many others, the physical intimacy I mentioned needing, is merely a reinforcement of the emotional intimacy - for quite some time now, I have felt that I needed someone to love and who loves me, and of course the obvious manifestation of this 'need' is to have someone who is prepared to be physically 'close' to you. I think that all I'm looking for is confirmation of the emotional intimacy.

I do think I might feel that this relationship will be more than it will be. The image I hold in my head of the ideal point in this, or any, relationship, is having a deep emotional attachment, and being public about it, but I doubt that will happen soon. I don't think he's ready to get too attached, or come out publically :tears:.

What do you suggest I do? You seem to hint that I should abandon this relationship, which I am not going to do, as I can't see how it would improve matters, and of course, I don't believe in going against my feelings (I feel very strongly for him.)

Even though I sound a bit scathing of your advice (sorry - I don't mean to be :icon_redf ) I really appreciate it and it has definitely aided me in sorting out a few things in my head.
    I am unfortunately still at a loss as to what action to take. Do you think, as others have recommended that I should confront him about it, or should I just try to accept his feelings as he is not entirely sure of himself, or do you have any other suggestions?

I cannot thank you enough,
    A

P.S. Reading this through, I am aware that I have overused the phase 'I think'. I hope I'm not giving too much credit to myself!

20. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well you can feel very strongly for him all you want but, to be blunt, at the end of the day if he doesn't return your feelings, or can't, or won't, then whether you go against your own or not will have absolutely zero bearing on the result of the situation. You cannot force someone into a relationship simply by force of either will or emotion--if you could, I wouldn't be single right at the moment, having been dumped about a month ago. And probably most people wouldn't be single.

That is perhaps the hardest lesson I've had to learn in my life: that just because I have strong feelings for someone, it doesn't mean they (or other people) will respect those feelings and respond to them. It seems nonsensical, too, because our feelings are maybe the most real things we know, so how can people not be swayed by them? If they're tearing us up inside, how can people not feel that too?

And I think maybe other people can, if they'd let themselves, but we seem to figure we have to wall ourselves off from other people to a certain (somewhat frightening) degree in this world of ours, and so often the very last thing people want to do is feel another's pain, or longing, or sadness, or even love. It makes us vulnerable, and because our feelings are the realest things we know, they are also the most frightening things we know, and the thought of taking on someone else's feelings in addition to our own? That way lies madness.

Here's what I know purely from my own experiences: every time I have tried to impress upon someone how much I am into them or how much I adore them or how much I love them, when it has been something they don't want or aren't able to hear, it has driven them farther away from me. So I think any situation in which you are employing the word "confront" with respect to this boy you have feelings for is going to end in disappointment and heartbreak for you, because however well-meaning you are, however much you just want him to let you in, however much you know you can ease his loneliness and that your feelings are not at all selfish, he will interpret it as an attack and withdraw, especially if the other factors you mention (conservative parents, fear of stigma) are at play. It is the horrible catch-22 of romance and love, that the stronger you feel for someone, the more likely they are to panic, even if in the end your feelings for them would ultimately be a good thing for the both of you.

So given that, probably the best thing you could do would be to let him know that you really like him, you respect that he isn't comfortable committing to you, and you want him to know that if (not when) he feels more comfortable with the two of you being close, or if he needs someone to lean on and/or talk to, you are there for him. Because really, isn't that what we want when we talk about love and emotional intimacy? Someone who says, "I will be there for you when you need me" as opposed to "I can tell you need me so accept that I am here for you?"

If you have such feelings for this boy, you have to find some way to put his needs above your own in this circumstance and allow him the time and space to figure out for himself what he feels for you.

And, quite frankly, that may end up being torturous for you. It is somewhat similar to what I am doing with my now-ex and I cannot say it has been anything other than horrible. But I have tried others ways of dealing with these kinds of situations and none of them have worked out, so I am trying the wait and see approach.

As a friend of mine has pointed out (although it is nothing that anyone wants to hear), if you are meant to be together, somehow that will happen. If you aren't, it won't. But I think maybe it's far easier for us to tip things towards the "it didn't work out" result than the "everything turned out in the end" one. As they say, it's far harder to create than to destroy.

Better you think than not think. The people who don't think seriously piss me off.