1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catholic Teaching Resource - Add to Links?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by seadog, Aug 11, 2009.

1. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just came across a statement of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops on homosexuality. The statement, addressed primarily to parents, reflects "official" modern teachings of the Catholic Church in America. The statement may be of help to any individual feeling conflict and tension between Jesus' call to unconditional love and the perception of unyielding black & white religious dictates and rules. http://www.usccb.org/laity/always.shtml

2. Beachboi92

this may actually be about as good as we get it from the church, There is however a little more room for push. After reading the whole thing i'll summarize for those not wanting to xD. They are not condemning homosexuality but are saying if you are homosexual that you should not have sex unless it is to make babies..... I mean that is similar to their views on birth control and all that. Sex not used for procreation is a sin and marriage is between a man and a women NOW because your supposed to save sex for marriage to make children.... Since people in homosexual relationships cannot do this they do not think they should get married. On the upside they condemned parents who kick out kids for being homosexual and said it should be fully accepted as long as they are not sexually active. This view will help with acceptance in the religious community. It does open up a road for more acceptance as people in same sex relationships that are religious do have sex without the goal of procreation so there is some room to fight there. Also They forgot about people who cannot make babies in same sex relationships and where they fit in.... There is a little more room for push but i would look at this as a massive victory on the front of religion.
    Love and accept your homosexual child is the message. Then it says to avoid thinking of stereotypes and encourage celibacy as the sexual act itself is the sin... Well i guess i'm not joining back with the church yet haha

#2 Beachboi92, Aug 11, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  3. Shevanel

Good Post Seadog

4. olides84

That is a very good post. It'd be nice if the Knights of Columbus would follow in line with the bishops though.

One very important quote in there is this:

"Generally, homosexual orientation is experienced as a given, not as something freely chosen. By itself, therefore, a homosexual orientation cannot be considered sinful, for morality presumes the freedom to choose."
    I think every gay kid in a catholic family or school needs to know this, and share this when dealing with their parents. It's a good start.

5. Shevanel

Mmhm, its what I was taught in High School also, and I always correct those who think Catholics think otherwise.

6. 71390S

71390S Guest

Sorry I am going to be debbie downer...

That's different they aren't all fire and brimestown, but I think their type of homophobia is much more sneaky and deadly.

"First, encourage him or her to cooperate with God's grace to live a chaste life. Second, concentrate on the person, not on the homosexual orientation itself."

But they still don't want you to "act" gay. It's the passive aggressive attitude of "hate the sin, not the sinner." I think it is very carefully veiled hate and homophobia covered up in the name of "love." Yeah, they love you, they just want you to wear a chastity belt your whole life. And I wonder how this effects gay teens whose parents are upset they are gay and want them to be chaste, and feel repentent about their sexuality. Like, how is feeling guilty about your sexuality your whole life going to effect your self esteem; likely your self esteem is ALREADY very low if you're gay and come from a religious family who doesn't accept homosexuality.

holy run on sentence batman.

On a related note, catholic americans are infamous for mostly being progay marriage even though the catholic institution is anti-gay.

7. Shevanel

The end of your post is basically the main topic of what I'm about to write, all above that is basically "in writing" but what happens in real life is what you wrote at the bottom. If that makes sense at all.

8. 71390S

71390S Guest

^ Yeah! lol. Plus, 70% of catholics use some form of birth control (according a huge national survey). Soooooooooo, the institution is just a wee bit behind. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. It used to be just BEING gay was wrong, now it's the gay romance/sex thats wrong...hopefully they come around eventually. Baby steps, in slow motion I guess.

9. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, the Catholic Church ecclesiologists are a bit slow to change, but that feature has something to do with how long the institution has been existant. Watch how long the US democracy lasts now that the State is in the mode of governing more and more factes of everyday life. Institutions that tend to change slowly tend to endure. Those that are fickel and change like the wind go like the wind.

That said, i am catholic. I am bi. I am pro-gay marriage. (God didn't create marriage, man did.) I am anit-abortion. I am pro-life, in all its forms. I am willing to let God decide when life begins and when it ends. And the form it takes. Sorry for the baby-rant.

10. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ... And, by the way, when some in the church condemn sexual activity .. .. .. The real purpose of the Church is to love, not to Condem. Keep in mind one of my favorite stories, when Jesus told the crowd "Let he who has not sinned throw the first stone." No one did, and neither did Jesus. Rather, he said he was not here to Condemn anyone. That's not God's mission to mankind. Why, prey tel, do so many humans rush to judge and condemn others, using God's name as their authority?