1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mono

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Geist, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Last night I went to the doctor because I was feeling really sick. They ran a few blood tests and the doctor came back and told me that I tested positive for mono. Honestly I know next to nothing about mono.

I was told that I am not allowed to play sports or participate in group activities for 6 weeks. It turns out that it is also known as the kissing disease. The problem is I have it but my bf doesn't. Now no I didn't kiss anyone else. I am just really confused how I caught it. I don't know anyone with mono and I haven't hung around anyone who looked sick let alone made out with them.

One of the things that I really worry about is that my bf will think I cheated on him. And I wouldn't really blame him. After all I got the kissing disease that he didn't have.

I plan on talking to him about it. It would be wrong for me not to tell him and if I avoid kissing him he will think something is wrong. I have nothing to be ashamed of because I know that I didn't do anything wrong, but I still worry.

If anyone has any advice on how to go about telling my bf or any information on mono in general I would really appreciate it.

2. Henrike

You can get mono from any exchanges in saliva. This includes sharing drinks or even biting from the same sandwich as someone else. If your boyfriend knows this, I doubt he'd instantly think you cheated on him.

3. KaraBulut

Mono is an odd syndrome. The virus that causes it is transmitted via saliva, so you can get it from eating after another person, a sneeze, a cough and yes- from kissing.

What is odd about mono is that a large percentage of adults test positive for antibodies to Epstein-Barr Virus which means that many of us are exposed to the virus but never develop mono. We don't know exactly why some people develop mono but others do not.

One of the symptoms is an enlarged spleen which is why your doctor has recommended that you avoid strenuous exercise and contact sports.

4. Matty

My ex found out he had mono a week after we broke up (this past summer). For whatever reason, the virus did not affect me... So thanks to KaraBulut for a possible explanation, as I've been very confused about it for some time.

Just take it easy...it's really a pain to have, but you can get through. I have many friends who have had it, and it's just a matter of rest and keeping up with whatever your doctor suggests. Get well soon!

5. epiphanies

I had mono earlier this year (April). I was really tired and wanted to sleep alllll the time. Make sure to get your rest, and it will take a while to feel 100% again. Like they said, it can be transferred multiple ways, not just kissing. And people may be carriers and not even realize it. I was only seeing one person at the time, and they didn't get sick, so I was in the same boat. But get your rest, drink fluids, and try not to get too worried about it all. You'll feel like crap for a while but then it gets better!

6. Vampyrecat

I've been unlucky enough to get it twice. Neither time had I been making out with anyone -
    BUT my friends and I are pretty sharing with our food - so sometimes we'll share food and then we'll all get sick at once cos one of us was about to get sick and didn't know - You'd think we'd have learnt by now but apparently we haven't!!!

My advice - Lots of rest - lots of fluid. I had hallucinations cos my fever got so high at one point so try to keep whatever fever you have to a low if possible.

Get well soon and take care of yourself.

7. silentsound

Don't worry, you can get mono by someone sneezing on you. In fact, I think I might have it right now just from sharing water bottles with my best friend, who just tested positive for having had it at some point.