1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"ThinkB4YouSpeak" ad campaign "thats so gay"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ArcusPuer, Oct 15, 2008.

1. ArcusPuer

so hey, i was on 365gay.com which if u dont know, is a GLBTI news website, its pretty good and i came across this:
    http://www.thinkb4youspeak.com/
    it is a campaign thats aim is to inform people about how it is insulting to use the phrase "thats so gay" and with Hillary Duff, Wanda Sykes (i dont know if thats how you spell it and some other chick :grin: (someone tell me who the third girl is please, i have no idea who she is!) they might actually make an impact,
    check it out
    http://www.thinkb4youspeak.com/
    i just figured i should let you guys know,
    what do you think?

2. Urman

Urman Guest

Awsome website

3. musican

"what if i said this salt shaker is so 16 year old boy with a cheesy mustache" wanda sykes haha

4. Urman

Urman Guest

im gonna put that in my signature lol thats was the best one btw it was pepper

#4 Urman, Oct 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2008
  5. musican

haha, oops; cant believe i wrote that wrong. oh well. but yes, it was the best one

6. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I loved that too. Wanda is awesome. lol

7. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I think it's a great campaign. I adore Wanda Sykes' - the way she sucks on that straw lol!

8. Urman

Urman Guest

Agree she is awsome

9. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Agreed, she is quite awesome.

I'll need to tell my friends about that website. That phrase gets a lot of usage at my school.

10. Bunny

Oh yeah, I saw those commercials on YouTube! I personally think they're awesome, but I honestly doubt they're going to have much of an impact. Most of the kids/teens who use that phrase know what they're saying is hurtful, and they don't care. I do have new respect for Hilary Duff, though.

11. musican

yes i agree, most people arent going to stop; they say it because they know its insulting.
    and yea, i was surprised, but glad hilary did that comercial, maybe younger kids will look up to her; i doubt it, but im still hopeful.

12. Bunny

Yeah! That's what I was trying to say: they do it because they know it's insulting. My theory is that when kids are young, they do/say mean things to fit in, then it just becomes a part of them. So yeah, I really hope this has some effect on younger kids.

13. musican

yea, i noticed that freshman say it a lot; they seem to think its the cool thing to do. that makes me really sad because my sister is a freshman and i was hoping that she was young enough that people werent too discriminatory. i hope they dont cloud her judgement.

14. Bunny

I know what you mean. I'm worried about my little brother. He'll probably be attending the same highschool I go to when he's older, and I won't be there to make sure he doesn't do anything stupid. He's such a sweetheart (knows that pink isn't just for girls, boys can play with dolls, etc.) and I'd hate for those stupid kids to ruin him.

15. Tim

Tim

I like Hilary Duff a lot more now :O

16. musican

i think shes already gone. she really likes a song by katy perry called ur so gay. i told her that i hate that song and i wish that she didnt listen to it, but she just says she likes the beat not the words and tells me that she hates my music. there was no way to explain how much i hate that song or why without coming out, and im not ready for that.

17. Bunny

I can relate to that, too! It's so frustrating not being able to explain why I'm so passionate about gay rights (I'm pretty sure everyone's convinced I'm a lesbian, lol) or why I cringe when referred to as 'she', or 'her'. But yeah, Katy Perry? Not doing much for our image. e__e

18. musican

yea, i especially hate that in i kissed a girl she said it was ok to be gay, but then in ur so gay she says that her boyfriend is gay when she means stupid. i wish i was wanda sykes i would call up katy perry and say: thats insulting, dont say that. what if i said thats so lame singer trying to rack up record sales by being an attention whore.
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. she makes me so mad

19. MattyPatty

I liked the third one the most :slight_smile:

20. Adam

Yeah the 3rd one was pretty good.
    I think its great what they are doing.