The RECIPE thread! :D

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Helen, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Helen

Helen Guest

I came up with a looovely idea just now, while I was doing my usual: surfing t'internet for some nice recipes to copy and paste :slight_smile:

Then I thought 'hey...I could start a thread...where people post their own, or recommended...recipes ^_^'

So yeah. That's what I thought? Good idea?

I'll start off. This is a recipe I found for French Onion soup the other day...*drools*

Preparation time: About 1 hour.
    INGREDIENTS
    6 large red onions, peeled and thinly sliced.
    Olive oil
    1/4 teaspoon of sugar
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    8 cups of beef stock or chicken stock
    1/2 cup of dry white wine
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 teaspoon of dry thyme
    Salt and pepper
    8 slices of toasted French bread
    1 1/2 cups of grated Swiss Gruyere with a little grated Parmesan cheese
    METHOD
    1 In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in the olive oil on medium high heat until well browned, but not burned, about 30 minutes. Add the sugar about 10 minutes into the process to help with the carmelization.
    2 Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add the stock, wine, bay leaf, and thyme. Cover partially and simmer until the flavors are well blended, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaf.
    3 To serve you can either use individual oven-proof soup bowls or one large casserole dish. Ladle the soup into the bowls or casserole dish. Cover with the toast and sprinkle with cheese. Put into the broiler for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until the cheese bubbles and is slightly browned. Serve immediately.
    Serves 4-6.

#1 Helen, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2008
  2. Corny

Corny Guest

something very easy which if often make when i don't want to care too much about the meal, and more about my guests:

buy some smoked pork chop, and deep fried potato fritters.
    prepare a casserole (rub some vegetable oil in it), and place the smoked pork chorp in it. not more than one layer.
    let the potato fritters thaw a bit, and crumble them over the porked chorp.
    mix one package of cream with one package of sour cream (or crème fraîche), season it, with for example paprika, curry powder, nutmeg, chives and a bit pepper, and pour it over the crumble potato fritters.
    if you want to crumble some cheese or feta cheese on top of it (makes it a bit more "filling" though).
    put it in the preheated oven at 180° C for about 30-40 mins.

goes good with a fresh garden salad and a not too sweat white wine (eg pinot grigio). it's really easy to make, cheap and fast. but as always, best try it once before, you prepare it while having guests :slight_smile:

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fancy dining is great, but what about a tasty quick cheap lunch?

I named this lunch favorite after Broadway, the fat gargoyle, years ago. I don't recall why.

BROADWAY CHEAPY CHEAPY LUNCH IN TWO PARTS

PART ONE

1. Purchase one package of spicy peanuts. Works best in a "tube".
    2. Go to the nearest Chinese restaurant and order a small container of steamed rice. It's never on the menu, but they always sell it for $1 or so.
    3. Get a fork.
    4. Open the container of rice, open the peanuts, and sprinkle a few on top of the rice.
    5. Eat.
    6. Sprinkle more peanuts on when the peanuts are all eaten.

PART TWO

1. Open a package of frozen peas, and put about half of them in a Tupperware-type container.
    2. Add a few spoonfuls of water.
    3. Microwave them according to package directions.
    4. DRAIN OUT THE LIQUID.
    5. Buy a package of sunflower nuts. Not seeds. Nuts. Again, works best in a tube.
    6. Open the package of nuts, and sprinkle some on top of the peas.
    7. Eat.
    8. Sprinkle more nuts on when the nuts are all eaten.
    9. I like this with a bit of additional salt. If you have some handy, go nuts.

Generally, I only need half the "tube" for either part, so save the other half for your next go-round of Broadway Cheapy Cheapy Lunch. Total cost of either part - roughly $2. If you decide to go crazy and have both parts, you're still talking $4. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. Brija

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This takes a little work but is really delicious!

Chicken-Mushroom Fricasee over Biscuits

1 whole roasted chicken
    4 1/2 cups water
    4 strips bacon
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
    1 onion, thinly sliced
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    3 tablespoons flour
    3 1/2 cups chicken stock
    1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
    1 1/4 cups peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
    1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
    8 large biscuits, split in half, for serving
    Thinly sliced scallions, for garnishing, optional
    De-bone chicken and tear meat into large, bite-size pieces. Place chicken carcass and skin in a medium saucepan and add 4 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine sieve. Discard solids and reserve stock; you should have about 3 1/2 cups. If not, add enough water to bring level up to 3 1/2 cups.
    Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove bacon and set aside on paper towels to drain. Add the butter to the rendered bacon fat in the skillet and, when melted, add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and lightly golden around the edges, about 4 minutes. Add the onion, salt and pepper and cook until the onions are wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the flour and continue to cook, stirring, until flour is a medium brown color, slightly darker than peanut butter. Add the stock and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened and smooth, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until they release their liquid and begin to break down slightly and the sauce is a nice consistency, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the chicken pieces and cook just until warmed through, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley and serve ladled over split hot biscuits. Garnish with thinly sliced scallions, if desired.

5. EM68

Easy Recipe

Italian Style Chicken

1 to 1.5 lbs of boneless skinless chicken
    1 jar of roasted red peppers
    1 jar of artichoke hearts
    1 bottle of Italian Dressing
    oregano
    pepper
    garlic
    basil

Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, put them in to a bowl. then put the rest of the ingredients in the same bowl. Mix and let sit for a couple of hours.Then put in a pan and bake for 40 min at 375 degrees.

6. Helen

Helen Guest

A High Unhealthy Cheese Nacho Melt (OH GOD THIS IS HEAVENLY. I found it a few months ago and just totally fell in love with the recipe, but I haven't made it...yet)

You will need:

One bag of Cheese/Original Doritos, or tortilla chips
    One block/bag of grated cheese
    2 dips of choice
    1 cooked chicken breast
    1 roll of smoked aussie cheese

Take a small frosting of tortilla chips and put on a plate :slight_smile:

Dice the chicken, and add it to the plate as well as small handfuls of grated cheese, and splodge on the dips.

Repeat until you're out of tortilla chips, chicken, cheese, and dips.

Now grate the smoked cheese (BUT NOT TOO MUCH) and sprinkle it over the top.

Grill for about five minutes.

God, it makes your mouth water just thinking about it, doesn't it?

7. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Put butter on bread
    Place in toaster
    Turn on toaster
    Wait
    Eat

8. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I HIGHLY recommend this recepie.

Darrell's "Forget-the-Cookies-just-give-me-the-Batter" Chocolate Chip Cookies

I say forget the walnuts because who really has walnuts lying around the house.

½ cup butter
    ½ cup brown sugar
    ½ cup white sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 egg
    1 1/8 c. flour
    ¼ tsp. salt
    ½ tsp. baking soda
    1 bag (6 oz.) chocolate chips
    ½ c. walnuts (opt.)
    Small bowl
    Mixing bowl
    Cookie sheet
    Spatula

Turn your oven on to 375° F.
    In the small pan, melt the butter.
    While it's hot, add both sugars. Stir, then let cool a bit.
    While the butter mixture is cooling, mix the flour, soda and salt in the mixing bowl.

In the small bowl, beat the egg lightly with a fork, then add the egg and vanilla to the butter mixture. Stir.
    Now add the butter, egg and vanilla to the flour mixture in the mixing bowl. Stir again, then add chocolate chips and nuts if you want them.

Stir everything until it's all mixed up well and put the bowl in the refrigerator to cool for about an hour.

When times up, get your cookie sheet - don't grease it.
    Roll the dough into walnut-sized balls, put them on the cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
    DON'T OVERCOOK! You want your cookies to be moist and chewy.
    Take them off the cookie sheet carefully with your spatula and let them cool.
    Yum!

9. JayC

JayC Guest

HAYSTACKS - Dessert

Need: 2 bags butterscotch morsels
    1 can La Choy noodles
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 - 3/4 bag mini marshmellows
    Baking pan
    large bowl that can be used on oven

Put oil in large boil then pour both bags of butterscotch morsels on it. Let the morsels melt with stirring occasionally until they are completely smooth. Then turn heat off pour in noodles and marshmellows. Mix all together. Get large baking pan spread mixture out(it's ok if it's thick taste will stay the same.) Put in refridgerator for 2 hours or until cool and hard. Break in pieces and serve.

10. Gumtree

Hrmm.

Chicken Wrappy Things (my father is a very original cook)

Ingredients. (serves 4)

2 chicken breasts.
    4 rashes picnic bacon
    240ml cream
    150g cheese (grated)
    2 cups chopped mushrooms
    1 cup chopped shallots (spring onions)

3 T Sweet soy sauce
    1 TWholegrain mustard
    1 Tsp Chicken stock
    1 Tsp Corn Flour
    1 1/2 T Honey

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180oC, put 2 T olive oil into a casserole dish.
    2. Combine Sweet soy, mustard, chicken stock, corn flour and honey in a small bowl.
    3. Slice the chicken breasts in half so you have 2 pieces that are the same size but thinner. Put into soy sauce mix for 2-3 hours.

4. Lay a strip of bacon onto a flat surface, place a chicken breast and a spoon of the sauce on top, roll up into a ball and put a skewer through to hold in place. Repeat.
    5. Drizzle honey over the top of the 4 balls and bake for 35 minutes.

6. Remove from oven, remove skewers and allow to cool for 40 minutes.
    7. Pour cream over the chicken, add shallots, mushrooms and cheese. Mix.
    8. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes on 150oC.

Serve with a flavoured couse couse and salad.

11. Helen

Helen Guest

And now for...the BEST open grilled cheese sandwiches IN THE WORLD! (serves 4)

You will need:
    45 ml/3 tbsp olive oil
    4 or 5 canned plum tomatoes, finely chopped
    a few leaves of fresh basil, torn into pieces
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    4-6 medium slices of Italian or crusty bread
    1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in half
    75g/3oz/half a cup scarmorza, mozzarella, or Cheddar cheese

Method:
    1. Heat the oil in a small frying pan. Add the tomatoes and basil, and season with salt and pepper. Cook over low to moderate heat for about 8-10 minutes, or until tomatoes start to dry out. Preheat the grill.

2. Lightly toast the bread. When it has cooled rub it on one side with the garlic.

3. Spread some of the tomatoes on each piece of bread and top with the sliced cheese. Place under the hot grill until the cheese melts and begins to bubble, 5-8 minutes. Serve hot.

12. Ben

Ben

Cut the butter into smallish cubes and tip into a medium bowl. Break the dark chocolate into small pieces and drop into the bowl. Fill a small saucepan about a quarter full with hot water, then sit the bowl on top so it rests on the rim of the pan, not touching the water. Put over a low heat until the butter and chocolate have melted, stirring occasionally to mix them. Now remove the bowl from the pan. Alternatively, cover the bowl loosely with cling film and put in the microwave for 2 minutes on High. Leave the melted mixture to cool to room temperature.

While you wait for the chocolate to cool, position a shelf in the middle of your oven and turn the oven on to fan 160C/conventional180C/gas 4 (most ovens take 10-15 minutes to heat up). Using a shallow 20cm square tin, cut out a square of non-stick baking parchment to line the base. Now tip the flour and cocoa powder into a sieve held over a medium bowl, and tap and shake the sieve so they run through together and you get rid of any lumps.

With a large sharp knife, chop the white and milk chocolate into chunks on a board. The slabs of chocolate will be quite hard, so the safest way to do this is to hold the knife over the chocolate and press the tip down on the board, then bring the rest of the blade down across the chocolate. Keep on doing this, moving the knife across the chocolate to chop it into pieces, then turn the board round 90 degrees and again work across the chocolate so you end up with rough squares.

Break the eggs into a large bowl and tip in the sugar. With an electric mixer on maximum speed, whisk the eggs and sugar until they look thick and creamy, like a milk shake. This can take 3-8 minutes, depending on how powerful your mixer is, so don't lose heart. You'll know it's ready when the mixture becomes really pale and about double its original volume. Another check is to turn off the mixer, lift out the beaters and wiggle them from side to side. If the mixture that runs off the beaters leaves a trail on the surface of the mixture in the bowl for a second or two, you're there.

Pour the cooled chocolate mixture over the eggy mousse, then gently fold together with a rubber spatula. Plunge the spatula in at one side, take it underneath and bring it up the opposite side and in again at the middle. Continue going under and over in a figure of eight, moving the bowl round after each folding so you can get at it from all sides, until the two mixtures are one and the colour is a mottled dark brown. The idea is to marry them without knocking out the air, so be as gentle and slow as you like - you don't want to undo all the work you did.

Hold the sieve over the bowl of eggy chocolate mixture and resift the cocoa and flour mixture, shaking the sieve from side to side, to cover the top evenly. Gently fold in this powder using the same figure of eight action as before. The mixture will look dry and dusty at first, and a bit unpromising, but if you keep going very gently and patiently, it will end up looking gungy and fudgy. Stop just before you feel you should, as you don't want to overdo this mixing. Finally, stir in the white and milk chocolate chunks until they're dotted throughout. Now your mixing is done and the oven can take over.
    Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, scraping every bit out of the bowl with the spatula. Gently ease the mixture into the corners of the tin and paddle the spatula from side to side across the top to level it. Put in the oven and set your timer for 25 minutes. When the buzzer goes, open the oven, pull the shelf out a bit and gently shake the tin. If the brownie wobbles in the middle, it's not quite done, so slide it back in and bake for another 5 minutes until the top has a shiny, papery crust and the sides are just beginning to come away from the tin. Take out of the oven.

Leave the whole thing in the tin until completely cold, then, if you're using the brownie tin, lift up the protruding rim slightly and slide the uncut brownie out on its base. If you're using a normal tin, lift out the brownie with the foil. Cut into quarters, then cut each quarter into four squares and finally into triangles. These brownies are so addictive you'll want to make a second batch before the first is finished, but if you want to make some to hide away for a special occasion, it's useful to know that they'll keep in an airtight container for a good two weeks and in the freezer for up to a month.

Ingredients
    185g unsalted butter
    185g best dark chocolate
    85g plain flour
    40g cocoa powder
    50g white chocolate
    50g milk chocolate
    3 large eggs
    275g golden caster sugar

Unfortunately, I didn't write that. I took it from the BBC food website... but I love cooking chocolate brownies.

13. Ben

Ben

Okay I killed this thread for 8 and a bit months...

But I shall revive it, with something quick and easy

5 Minute Cake in a Mug

Ingredients -
    • 4 tablespoons plain flour
    • 4 tablespoons sugar
    • 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
    • 3 tablespoons milk
    • 3 tablespoons oil
    • 1 egg

Put all the ingredients in a large mug. Stir. Microwave for 3 minutes.

I found it on the internet a while ago and have made it a few times. It's rubbery and not exactly the same as a cake, but it's good enough for something you can throw together in 5 minutes. :slight_smile:
    Om nom nom.

14. Greggers

Cranberry Explosion Muffins

2 cups flour
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/2 cups crannberries, fresh
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup oil
    1/2 tsp. vanilla
    optional: grated lemon rind and cherry pie fill

Streusel Topping:
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup flour
    1/4 cup chopped nuts
    2 Tbsp. marg., cold
    optional: cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
    In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut cranberries in half and toss gently with dry ingredients.
    In a small bowl combine eggs, sour cream, sugar, oil and vanilla. Mix well. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fill muffin liners halfways full with batter. At this time, put a half teaspoon of cherry pie fill in the middle - top with enough batter to seal in filling.
    Bake for 15-20 mins. or until done.

15. -Michael-

*attemps*

*fails*

Ultimate Rice Crispie cakes:

1 jar of marshmallow fluff (half eaten)
    1 box of the snap crackle and pop goodness.
    1 (optional) bottle of choccy sauce.

Pour preferred ammount of popped rice into jar.

Stir well.

At sauce to taste.

Enjoy.

16. starfish

The I can quit anytime I want protein shake.

1 cup of low fat vanilla frozen yogurt.
    2 scoops of protein power
    2 whole limes, peeled.
    About 6-8 pieces of ice.
    3 shots Tequila
    2 shots Cointreau.

Blend until well everything is blended. Not only is it good for you, but your day just got a lot better.

17. -Michael-

make it 6 shots of tequila and you have a deal

18. matty123

Outrageous Oreo Crunch Brownies

I'm posting my halved version. An 11.5x17.25 tray of brownies is truly outrageous... My halved version makes one 9x13 pan.

2 sticks (1 cup) butter
    1/2 pound semisweet chocolate chips
    3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
    3 eggs
    1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
    1 tablespoons vanilla
    1 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
    1/2 cup + 2 tbsp flour
    1/2 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups chopped Oreo cookies (25 cookies)

Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9"x13" baking pan.

In a heatproof medium bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, heat butter, chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate until melted and smooth. Allow to cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk eggs, coffee, vanilla and sugar. Blend chocolate mixture into egg mixture; cool to room temperature.

In a medium bowl, sift together 1/2 cup flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture. In a small bowl, stir Oreos and remaining 2 tablespoons flour. Add Oreo mixture to chocolate mixture. Pour batter into baking pan and smooth top with a rubber spatula.

Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted 3 inches from center comes out clean; do not overbake. Allow to cool. Refrigerate, tightly wrapped, until cold; cut into squares.

enjoy!!!!

19. MusicIsLife

Best-Ever Vegetarian Chili

1 can pinto beans
    1 can red kidney beans
    1 can black beans
    2 fresh tomatoes, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 pkg Yves Veggie Cuisine Ground Round
    1 fresh green pepper, diced
    1 fresh yellow pepper, diced
    1 fresh orange pepper, diced
    1 fresh red pepper, diced
    1 white onion, finely chopped
    3-4 garlic cloves, minced
    2-4 Jalapeno Peppers, finely chopped
    ~1/3 cup frozen corn kernels
    2 tbsp olive or peanut oil
    1/8 teaspoon chipotle pepper
    1 pinch cinnamon
    1 tbsp Cardamom Powder
    Frank's hot sauce, to taste [basically keep adding until you reach desired hotness/taste]
    Fine sea salt to taste
    pepper, to taste.

Heat oil in large, heavy bottomed pot and add garlic. Cook approx. 2 mins or until lightly browned, being carful to not let it burn. Add Onion and cook approx. 5 minutes, or until slightly softened. Add Jalapeno peppers and cook another 3-5 mins, until fragrant and then add the green, red, yellow and orange peppers. Cook until softened, then add fresh tomato and cook 2-3 minutes, then add canned tomato, including the juice.

Bring to low simmer, and then add ground round and beans. Heat through, then add corn and spices. Cover and let simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally so that It won't stick to the bottom of the pan.

Note: This chili is designed to be more sweet and savory than fire-breathingly hot. For extra kick, add a diced red chile in with the Jalapenos.

20. tomahto72

tomahto72 Guest

Apple and Blueberry Crumble (perfected and handed down by the kitchen ladies at RH and given to me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Crumble:
    350g plain flour,
    200g unrefined brown sugar
    250g unsalted butter, cubed at room temperature
    Knob of butter for greasing

Filling:
    450g (or close to) tinned apples
    small tin of blueberries (trust me its easier than using real ones and tastes better)
    50g unrefined brown sugar
    1 tbsp plain flour
    pinch of cinnamon
    Method
    1. Preheat the oven to 180C
    2. Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Taking a few cubes of butter at a time rub into the flour mixture. Keep rubbing until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. (make sure it doesn't feel dough like and the sugar HAS been mixed in well)
    2. Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle over the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir well.
    3. Butter a oven proof dish about 20-30cm wide. Spoon the fruit mixture into the bottom, then sprinkle the crumble mixture on top spread evenly.
    4. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is browned
    5. Serve with custard.

guaranteed crowd pleaser

#20 tomahto72, May 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009