1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question,

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by smolpsycho, May 21, 2017.

1. smolpsycho

So, I say stuff like "thats gay," and sometimes ill say faggot when im extra angry. But, I myself, am as gay as someone can be. is it bad that I do this? I dont feel that being gay is bad at all. I don't mean any of it.

2. loveis4walls

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As you're gay yourself, it's fine to reclaim a slur directed towards a group you belong to. But maybe within the context you're using it in, it could be kind of misunderstood by the people you're talking to, and if they don't know you're gay, it could be perceived as homophobic. I mean calling something gay in a negative way is kinda making the word synonymous with "bad" or "disgusting" if you aren't joking. But I mean it's probably not as deep as that ahaha.

3. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a topic that comes up fairly often. The concept of using "gay" or "fag" as synonyms for other words is pretty common. It happens a lot in the schools, and my kids tell me it's pretty common in their schools. I was incredibly proud to learn that my son asked a friend to stop using it. The friend asked why. He said proudly, "because my dad is gay." (!)

Here's why it's wrong though: "Gay" only means someone who is sexually and romantically attracted to someone of the same sex. Period. Using it to mean anything else just perpetuates the stereotypes. What words are being substituted? Words like girly, sissy, bad, dumb, stupid, gross, silly - these are all words that people substitute the word "gay" instead of the more appropriate word.

Using "That's so gay" to refer to an object, or a statement from someone as a substitute for other words just associates "gay" to those words and furthers the stereotyping.

It's just plain wrong. I know people don't mean anything by it, but it's still wrong. And if we in the LGBT community continue to do it too, how can we ever expect anyone else to stop?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

4. skittlz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not a fan of it. I can see that LGBT people can use the words gay and fag, similar to how Mexicans claim the word chicano/chicana, women use the B word, and African American rappers use the n-word. But still, I just don't feel really comfortable with words that are mostly used as offensive slurs.

5. deepwaters7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my opinion? Knock yourself out! But you should be careful around who you say it as I'm not most people, which is probably for the better if I'm being honest. There are those that don't care and there are those that do, so if you don't care and you joke around with others that also don't care, all the power to you

6. smolpsycho

Ok, thank you guys for the answers. I'll try to refrain from using it.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Among my gay friends, we often say "fag" or "gay" or such things at each other when one of us does something super gay. I think it's perfectly fine. I do agree that using "gay" as a generic term for "that's stupid" or "that sucks" is probably not the best plan, but sometimes I'll do it from a place of sarcasm.

8. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say that I haven't done this as well with gay friends. I suppose it is somewhat similar to African Americans' use of the n-word with each other. It does trouble me, though, because it is used so much by younger generations and I don't like the association to "that's stupid" or girly/effeminate or whatever else is used.

Is it hypocritical that we can use it but expect straight people not to?

9. Ride2Relax

Heh, I'm guilty of the same too. I don't feel it's bad/wrong at all... it's just words. And I'm gay, so I know I'm not saying it to insult myself or others.:lol: