1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It doesn't seem real - Can anyone relate?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LostInDaydreams, Apr 23, 2017.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been on EC for nearly a year now, but being something other than straight still doesn't seem real.

For example, when I think about coming out to a friend, I imagine that as soon as I say the words 'I'm gay', I'll be like 'Actually, now I've said it, I don't think I am'.

Can anyone relate to that? Is this normal?

It's like there are two versions of me. In my fantasies, there's an 'out' version of me, who is gay (and has a better wardrobe :slight_smile: ), but in reality there's just me, who I really don't see as being gay.

Does that make any sense?

2. LunaMare

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can relate to this so much! It's like I know I'm not straight or at least not a 100% but (although I want to) the second I think of actually telling someone, it doesn't feel real anymore. Like it's all a big fantasy in my head that I've made up.

Can't really help you out but you're definitely not alone

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I can totally relate to this. I was so much like this when I was first figuring out my sexuality.
    I came to EC completely confused and then started to kind of figure things out but coming out in real life always seemed like such a big step. I think the thing is, coming out in the safety of EC where people are all accepting and you can reveal as much or as little of yourself as you like is a great first step but it comes with the security that if I change my mind or get scared I can at any time delete my account, close that door and never revisit it again and nobody in my real life would be any the wiser. Telling a real life friend however feels so different, so much more permanent. Its like once the words are out of your mouth they can never be taken back, they will always be out there. One of my biggest fears, even bigger than people not accepting me was telling someone and realising I was wrong so you are definitely not alone.
    I also had the fear that I wasnt gay enough, as though I knew I liked girls but I didnt know how to be gay. The truth is though there isnt a way to be gay, everyone is gay in their own way. Sure we all have similarities but we also all have differences and you have to find your own gay or bi.
    In the end I think I came to the conclusion that the worst case scenario was that I told someone and then fell in love with a guy and whilst that would have taken some explaining and people probably would have been gossiping about it, eventually it would be old news and as long as I was happy what did it really matter.

4. Paige3002165

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Like the others here, I find this extremely relatable. I've been questioning for a little over a month, and sometimes not being straight feels real and other times I'm convinced I just made the whole think up—even though by now I've probably got more evidence for not being straight than being straight.

I think for me, part of it is that I just didn't question until I was 21. I keep thinking that surely if I wasn't straight I would have at least thought about it before now—although I know that isn't the experience for everyone. Still, I find myself wanting to share this part of my life with people I care about because I hate the feeling of hiding; but like you I'm afraid that if I do I will suddenly or eventually decide that I made it all up and have to take it back. I'm not sure why that outcome sounds so threatening; but for some reason it does.

5. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can relate. It's a weird feeling. And mostly I've totally accepted that I am not 'straight'. Whatever that is!! I have told people I am bi for years, told my mom, had sex with a woman. Then sometimes I wake up and think, wait, am I not straight?! Then I think about my heterosexual marriage. I guess this is part of bargaining phase.

6. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can totally related to all this. And if I go away from here its pretty easy to be in denial. I totally get to the two different 'me's even with the different clothes.. and living outside those things make it seems like it is someone else.

7. BiGuy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I think there can be several reasons; curiosity, fantasy, dissatisfaction with relationships, adventure... ect.

8. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was just thinking more about this.. and it seems so right no matter how i tried to accept the idea i just don't seem to really believe its me. I don't see my fantasies really connecting with the real world or my real life.

9. Dryad

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can relate so much with this whole topic... So much it made my day. I don't feel like that anymore, but I used to.

10. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much for your replies!

Glad to know that I'm not alone in feeling this way. :slight_smile:

findingjoy, I've not see you around for a while. Thanks for your post. The fantasies part of my post, was the bit I was most unsure about. I sometimes think that perhaps I just bored with life and seeking a more interesting alternative. Glad that you can relate. Hope you're doing well. :slight_smile:

11. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe a better place to start would be, what do you want out of life? Maybe for you, sex isn't the most important thing. Let's say for example you decided that your current relationship and children were more important. Could you work on ways to improve your relationship with your partner? Are there things you can do to spice up your life?

a lot of people here decide that pursuing their intimate desires is the most important thing. That may work for them but not for you. There are people who acknowledge they have these feelings but choose not to act on them because they have other desires in life that conflict. It doesn't even have to be same sex related. Someone who decides to take vows as nun doesn't stop having sexual desire, they choose 'a higher calling'.

you said you fantasize about you with better clothes :slight_smile:
    How would the ideal you look and what would you be doing?

12. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've not really thought about it like that.

My daughter will always be the most important thing in any consideration. My relationship has suffered a lot over the last year, partly because I've gone back to work, and partly because I've sorted 'checked out' whilst questioning. I don't think I'm giving my partner what he needs, so even if I don't end it, I'm sure it'll last forever anyway.

It's other things too though...the caged feeling...the feeling that you're not living a full life...that you're not fully yourself...that horrible feeling (sadness, envy, and I don't know what) I get when I see a lesbian couple out together...and regrets about what I've missed already, which make me feel guilty about not appreciating what I have now.

I just want to be happy, but my daughters happiness does come first.

So much to think about...

13. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I read in your posts you don't really question whether you are gay, just whether you can act on it in the real world?

I also understand it's much harder to give up reality for a feeling. Is there any safe way for you to get confirmation in the real world? Attending a LGBT meetup or something similar?

14. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I don't really question anymore, but struggle with coming out in my circumstances. I don't know how things would work in a practical sense, and how people would react.

Not really.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey do you think your friends and family would react badly if you came out to them?

16. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Friends, no. Family, some of them possibly, but that wouldn't necessarily put me off.

It's more the reaction to me coming out after having been a long-term relationship with a man, and breaking up my family in the process, that I'm worried about.

17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah thats completely understandable. Do you think your relationship will end regardless of whether or not you come out?

18. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably it will, to be honest. I don't really feel that I'm giving my partner what he needs from relationship at the moment. He says I've changed a lot over the past year, don't show affection, not passionate, etc.

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well there are reasons for that. I know it doesnt make it any easier. Have you spoken much to him?

20. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About this? Not at all. There are times when I think he suspects. It's just a messy situation.