1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The right therapist/meaningful therapy experiences

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Surutcra, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Surutcra

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi all,

I'm 33, have been questioning, depressed, and stuck in the same place for a long time, and have been watching the walls close in on me, so to speak for several months. I don't really feel much of anything anymore except a sadness and emptiness in my weaker moments. It's the main reason I've tried to completely curtail any drinking, as even one or two combined with a particular thought or event can put me in a bad place quickly.

I know that I'm not straight but have not been able to fully accept that I'm gay. Behind closed doors, at night when I'm trying to sleep or typing at my computer, I feel in the back of my head that I'm probably gay, and I try to internalize it and make some kind of peace with it. Like some others on these threads, it's when I get out in the world and see and interact with people that I can't make it real. It doesn't feel real to me; I don't find myself attracted or interested in men and there are a few women I encounter regularly that I like and find myself thinking about, but I know I can't give them what they need and it brings me a lot of heartache. For example, when I'm lying in bed at night most of the time all I really want is one of these women in my arms but I've done my best to train myself to never think about it because it just feels like false hope and does nothing but crush me in the times where I'm pretty sure I'm gay.

Anyway, I've done therapy for a while and it doesn't seem to take that well with me; I think I'm somewhat of a difficult person to deal with. Besides having a tendency toward very negative and bleak thoughts I'm overly skeptical of everything. I decided recently to try someone new. I was seeing a female therapist and decided to try for a male one at her suggestion. He is older and I know he has dealt with many gay patients. I think he is gay himself but I'm not 100% sure (I didn't ask, although I guess it's plenty relevant). He makes me somewhat uncomfortable but in a way maybe I need to be pushed? He's far more direct and more blunt and kind of gives me anxiety while we're meeting -- kind of like an unblinking, sterile type demeanor. But I'm wondering if the anxiety is me not more me facing myself, and I have this future vision of myself having a total emotional breakdown in his office. I have already told him where my head and heart feel like they're at.

I obviously can't see what he writes on that pad but the way he's said things to me is that he thinks I'm either gay and have what I can only guess is extreme internalized homophobia, or straight and that I've somehow constructed this as a way to avoid the fear of relationships and rejection that I picked up from the way I was raised. He said he doesn't think I'm bisexual and I kind of agree with that. It's weird...I can't really imagine having some type of eureka moment in his office like I alluded to above, where I all of a sudden realize one thing or the other and am able to move on with the relationship area of my life, but it seems to be what something like this would be leading to.

For anyone who realized they were gay through therapy, did you have an "aha" moment at any point? Were there methods/topics/techniques from a therapist that you found really helped you realize or understand certain things? Did any medications help?

2. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think there is a lot of confusion (often created by therapists themselves) about what therapy can and cannot do. Everyone hopes for a "breakthrough" moment where the clouds part and an answer suddenly appears. People used to ascribe such moments to God or previously hidden psychological forces (e.g., Jung's "collective unconscious") but now the assumption is that therapists orchestrate such moments and that those moments are the point of therapy, which is false. I think therapists are useful when you're struggling with confusion over motivations, desires, directions, etc., in helping clarify things for and providing a new perspective on their clients' struggles. I don't think "aha" moments are the goal or should even be sought. The breakthrough moments come as you live your life, perhaps in conjunction with therapy. Maybe a good analogy is getting physical therapy for a broken leg and wanting someday to run a four-minute mile ... the therapy starts you on your way but you still need to put in the time and effort training and perhaps competing. So, were I you I would get out into the world at large and start dating men, women, whatever, who interested me ... put your desires into practice and see what happens ... don't judge yourself but try to use such experiences, whether good or bad, as opportunities to gain valuable information about yourself and others that you can then talk about with your therapist.

As for meds, I have personal experience taking Zoloft for anxiety and mild depression, which I found to be helpful to cope with particularly down moments. The SSRI's have side effects such as loss of libido and weight gain that suck, so I tried to keep the dose to the minimal clinically effective and I tapered off slowly when I went off in order to avoid withdrawal symptoms ... worked well. There are also different types of benzos out there for various anxiety symptoms and these can be quite helpful because they often act very quickly ... they are addictive however and doctors are often very reluctant to prescribe them.

I hope that helps and best of luck!

3. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Women, especially, should be aware of one potential, possibly life-altering side-effect of SSRIs: Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder (PGAD). Sufferers have been known to commit suicide, and there seems to be no effective treatment.

4. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    for me, i can honestly way that i have been in the same boat you are in. i think when you know you are one or the other (gay or straight) things are a bit easier to accept. however, when you feel like you're stuck in the middle or there may be a "chance" to avoid that sort of guilt and shame that often comes with accepting your own homosexuality, sometimes that "chance" of being straight and having what others would consider a "normal" life, becomes all too tempting to want to cling to. by not moving forward either way, you try and buy yourself time for experiencing what you think will be ultimate worst-case scenario..... if you move forward with a woman and it doesn't work out or if you still end up thinking about guys then, you'll feel horrible and if you move forward with guys, come out, put yourself out there, only to find out that being with guys is not what you thought it would be..then now what???? either way seems to be so frightening and stakes seem so high that it is very tempting to stand still. the problem with standing still and avoiding is that you never really ultimately avoid. the years will keep passing by and before you know it you will look up and you will be in the same spot wondering, ok, now what. meanwhile everyone else is moving on with their lives. making choices both for that they want for their future. i say this because i know from first hand experience that when I was 33 I was asking myself these same questions that I am at 41. Time is moving on and we do not get a 2nd go at living our lives. of everything you said, the one thing that stood out was "i know i'm not straight, but have not been able to fully accept that I'm gay.that was the a-ha moment right there. I'm not fully able to accept that I am gay. My own personal depression, my own personal isolation, my own personal darkness stems from this very thing....I am not able to accept I am gay. The mind is a funny thing, by not accepting, a way to protect oneself from guilt and shame is to even block out the thoughts or possibilities of thinking about guys. You said: "It doesn't feel real to me; I don't find myself attracted or interested in men". Could that be your own personal way of blocking the ultimate outcome of dealing with the attraction. I used to think the same way too. I would avoid any thoughts about guys I saw. No I could not be gay. If i say gay couples, I would say to myself, "see, that's not you. you don't look like that, you would not be like those guys...". If i saw a guy that was attractive, i would immediately shift my mind to something else and deny internally i even found him attractive. one day i gave myself permission to notice guys i liked. i gave myself a free pass of guilt just for a moment. "ok, if i go into this grocery store, i give myself a free shame-pass to think a guy is cute. once im out the store, the pass is over, and im back to my avoidance self." when i did this, i had so much fun because for that brief 10 or 15 minutes when i was in the store, i could be ok with myself and not judge and hate myself. i started therapy looking for the therapist to diagnosis me as gay or straight or bi. but what i did not realize is that i already knew/know the answer, but did not want to ACCEPT the answer. all of the angst, the anxiety, the depression, the confusion were and are self imposed roadblocks (for me i can only speak) that I put in the way to derail myself from ultimately getting to acceptance. I'm a bit sad to say i'm still not there yet but i do realize now what i have been doing. i dont think anyone but you can tell you what you are. only you know that. sexuality itself is not black or white. many of us on are on a scale. the real question is what you do you want now. who are you most interested in this moment of exploring dating with. if that is a man, then great. if that is a woman, then great. start there and just see where things go. but all the what ifs really only delay your process. i think deep down inside we all know who we are attracted to. there's no guess work with attraction. you either are or you are not. actually that is a easy part. i think the thing that is the hard part if sorting through what that attraction will mean for your life and what society may say about it and how to accept what may not be conventional. i think that's the hard part and you will get there for sure. keep doing what you're doing. you're taking awesome steps and doing the needed work to get to a place of comfort regarding your sexuality.

5. WarmEmbrace

That such a good exercise early 40's! Thank you so much for sharing it.
    I to have all these feelings of guilt and shame when allowing myself to exhibit outwoards female mannerisms and gestures, just because I know that physically I am not there yet, and that people will judge, but it is me who is the most unforgiving judge of them all, and mentally crucify myself each time I act as I would be comfortable to. Because " What is everyone going to say ?". I just can't seem to be able to say ( and believe it) " screw them all, do what makes you happy".
    Only recently I have allowed myself to do some of it in private, and it feels so good, but the self accusations are still crippling.

6. Chrissouth53

Just thought I'd chime in since I'm a fellow Masshole...

I went to a gay therapist and he did nothing for me. I was just billable hours to him.

Went to a lesbian therapist and she was great. So go figure.

If you want to get something out of therapy, make a list of goals and a timeline of when to accomplish them, share them with your therapist and when you both agree on the lists, use them as a guide.

7. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Interesting posts. While guilt and shame are definitely important issues, I also struggle with the fact that when you're gay there are so fewer choices in life to lead what I would call for lack of a better term a "normal" life ... stable home life, not cheating on each other, moving ahead together. Yes, it's possible, but much more difficult to find with gay men. I think this reality also causes a lot of guys to sit on the fence with their sexuality.

8. Surutcra

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

early40s I can relate to a lot of what you're saying, especially on the being stuck in the same place front. I've also retreated inward. I don't really have any social life anymore and its taking its toll. I went back to school and am around mid/late-20s people a lot of the time and I avoid socializing because being around them makes me feel old and out of place. I get a deep pang of lament when around them sometimes, as I somehow feel like I've aged so much since that time and I'm looking back a time when I at least felt a little better. I think 5-7 years ago I felt still a bit of "youth" left in me, and "hope," and now they both feel like they're gone and replaced with a vacuum of anxiety. All my old friends got married and have other priorities.

"i think deep down inside we all know who we are attracted to. there's no guess work with attraction. you either are or you are not."This part is not so simple for me. I don't really even understand what the word "attraction" means anymore. If it means who gives you butterflies, lingers in your mind, and who you want to kiss and have take your clothes off, I've always felt that way about women. If it means who's genitals arouse you when they're in your mouth, I'm pretty sure it's men. I think for a lot of people these probably line up with the same gender. For me they don't and it's been really painful and kept me stuck in the same place for a long time. I figure I must have a pretty extreme case of internalized homophobia which doesn't want to go away. It would be much easier if I could play your supermarket game and make some kind of progress. I have tried, and it doesn't seem to feel right to me in the moment.

Which is kind of why I was wondering about the therapy, about what to look for in terms of effectiveness, because I feel like I need some kind of "break-through" of sorts to shift my thinking -- clearly something is very off.