1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News John Oliver Orlando

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by dregj, Aug 26, 2016.

1. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS8cm3kmyWs

just watched this and wondered about the ending
    is he trying to be funny/ironic about the blood donors
    since lgbt are banned from giving blood?

aspies dont always get humour

but surely he must have known

2. AlamoCity

I guess there are several ways to look at it.

For one, assuming gay people can't donate(you can be gay and donate so long as you haven't had sex with men, we will exclude bi and lesbian women since they can) those donors are more than likely straight and therefore they are supporting the gay community by doing what they can and it shows how the US can rally in the face of disaster and differences. That would be the nuances interpretation.

More apparent, blood donations during crises are also quintessential American patriotism at its best. We seem to go out in hordes to donate after tragedy because we feel good about it and many see it as their duty, especially O-negs. The fact that hundreds of people waited many hours in the Florida heat and humidity to donate showed how we like to do our part.

3. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i suppose it could have been well meaning ignorance

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless I watched the wrong video, no, he was not being funny at any point in that clip. He referenced the blood donation line as a rebuttal against terrorists - a "try as you may but you will not strip us of our humanity" thing.

5. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Having watched a lot of his stuff before, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do that intentionally. It would be uncharacteristically callous. He was just making the point that kindness and humanity will always prevail after national tragedies like these.

6. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Tbh I have no idea what you guys are talking about. He was saying the terrorist / guy who hated gay people is vastly outnumbered by people who have love in their hearts for these people that died. He hasn't referenced that gay men can't give blood at all. He didn't make any joke or say anything offensive imo. I think this is a case of us reading into something that doesn't even exist.

7. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, unless I may have misheard something, it seemed more like he was showing that even though there are horrible terrorists that try to inject fear into people and break things apart, there are tons of people who refuse to fall for that and will instead stand together in support.

8. ABeautifulMind

:O

John Oliver is our moral compass we imported from Brittain... He would never be insensitive... "For the record, I ill happily embrace a latin knight, at a gay club, at the theme park capital of the world, as the ultimate symbol of what is truly wonderful about America"

He was not being offensive... I love that man lol... Not in like a wanting to fuck him way either, more like the same sort of love I have for Bernie Sanders... He is not afraid of controversy, and always advocates the right thing... He is the reason my dad no longer supports the death penalty... Well, ok him and my conversations, but Oliver sealed the deal....

I recommend watching more of his episodes, for example :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d667Bb_iYA

9. dregj

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    hes funny