1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you leave your partner?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crystalbal, Jun 26, 2016.

1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definitely a nope for both of those questions for me. My partner has been wonderful with helping me through my mental disorders and it would be really shitty if I left him for that. My other best friend who is also someone I love very dearly has mental health issues as well and we've been able to help each other with those as we've grown close.

2. candyjiru

Of course not, but I'd support them in getting help <3

3. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    1) Hell no, welcome to the club
    2) No I would not

4. Embi

Embi Guest

I wouldn't leave anyone because of a mental disorder in general. However, since I am mentally not very stable myself, if I would realize that we drag each other down instead of helping each other, I'd end it. Sometimes it is better that way. Mental disorders in general are no reason to split up, but if you start getting bad yourself or don't have a life at all anymore because of it, you sometimes have to think about yourself. You should always try first though!

5. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In most circumstances, I wouldn't, since it is important to help them through this. However, since I am not the most mentally stable person myself, if I feel we were both making each other worse, then I would break off the relationship either temporarily or permanently, but still keep in contact and try to help them through it.

6. Jagubgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I wouldn't leave simply because they had a mental health issue. As someone living with a mental health issue the problem isn't being left by a lover, it's finding one in the first place.

7. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I would never leave

8. Wolfwing

As long as they are working towards recovery, then my answer to both is no.

9. MlleLs

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Well I guess I'm going to be the bad guy in this story but I have to confess that: My actual parter has mental illness and I'm not sure to be able to stay with him because it's destroying me. In the other hand, I know I can't leave him as he can not stand without me and I'm afraid of what he could do if I broke up with him.
    So here's the deal if my partner has mental illness I'll will him/her/they as long as I can
    But if it's just someone I'm dating and we are not really close I'm not sure I would take the risk

10. Night Rain

Honestly do you really expect someone to say yes, especially if they have no first-hand experience?

If it was my long-time partner, I would stay with him and help him deal with it. So no to (1). As for (2), depending on the severity of his mental problem, I might need to seriously reconsider my decision. Everyone here thinks they're a saint and would never do something like that, but the truth is more complicated than just a yes or no. For example, I would not date someone with sadistic personality disorder, or someone who's just a mental psychopath. I also think it's not fair if you put yourself out there in the dating scene while still suffering from depression (for example), treat your date as lifesaver and expect them to cure your depression. With that said, I would have no problem in most cases, as long as his mental disorder doesn't bring too much negativity into the relationship, but I cannot firmly say no to (2).

11. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for your replies. :slight_smile: I'm happy to see positive opinions from you guys :slight_smile:

Sadly, in the community that I live in, many people who suffer from mental disorders were abandoned by their spouses or remain single as they are ostracized by others.

I myself have some issues and used to feel apprehensive about relationships. Reading your posts has given me hope. :slight_smile:

Thanks once again guys :slight_smile:

12. glenriver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    (*hug*)

A hug for you.

13. BookWriter1994

I would not leave them because I have my own disorders too though they are medical issues. So I would not leave them honestly.

14. crystalbal

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the hug glenriver :slight_smile:

(*hug*) *hugs glenriver back*