1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel like I don't deserve a job

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jared, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Jared

So lately I've been feeling really down and having a hard time staying positive. I've been rejected from so many jobs and I feel like I'll never find one. I just feel like a complete screw up and that I don't deserve a good job, I'm trying to be a software engineer. Even though earlier I got a call back from an interview I had last week wanting me to do another one, I feel like I won't get that job and hearing the recruiter praise me made me feel worse, since my tucked up brain is taking as getting my hopes up before getting them crushed when I get rejected later. I don't know why I feel so negative all the time and it's making me miserable. And before anyone asks, yes I am taking anti depressants

2. pde

pde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey, I know job searching is awful. There is so many opportunities for software engineering out there and if you don't get a certain job then it probably just wasn't meant to be. Try thinking of each interview as a learning experience, and if you don't get the job make sure to ask the interviewer what they think you could work on. I hope things get better for you.

3. HelloSweetie

I was unemployed for a year after I graduated and I felt that way after a few months of trying to find a job and failing. If you're getting call backs, you must what employers want so it's just a matter of time before you find something. I know it's easier said than done, but try to stay positive.

4. Idk what

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know I'm late in commenting this I guess but forreal after college I couldn't get a job for 6 months and it really took a toll on me. Ya just gotta keep trying and one day something will come through. As of recent I have a job and 2 other part time things and it all came in due time. Just wait it out and soon you'll get something! Hope this helps :slight_smile:

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    First jobs are always hard to get for everyone.
    What usually does the trick (besides being qualified for the job) is that you get to the interview highly motivated, confident that you will get it. If your HR Drone detects insecurity or shyness, you'll be probably left out, unless you are a genious... But if you are aplying for a job that requires a genious you won't be facing a HR Drone anyways.

On IT in general, and software dvelopment in particular, how do you spend your free time matters to your employer. Most of the sucessful developers I know add on their resume links to their hobby projects. You could get in touch with free software developers and collaborate, there is lots of projects out there in need for young (and talented) coders.

Oh, and keep learning, 'cause it's the only way to climb up the ladder, unless you want to leave your career to chance or spend 10 years wasting your time.