1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I would really like to talk to more Bigender people

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LionHearted, Mar 31, 2015.

1. LionHearted

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi, so I've recently discovered/accepted that I'm bigender. I don't really know what to do and the only person who knows is my girlfriend. I'd love to hear experiences from different people about when they first discovered that they're bigender and how they're doing today. I've only talked to one other person like me and I feel so alone with this. I've talked to my girlfriend about how it feels, and she is so supportive, but it's not the same as talking to someone who is also going through or has felt what you're feeling, you know?

2. dirglenerg

I'm not bigender myself so I can't help you any when it comes to someone to talk to about what you're going through the way another bigender could. But know that you're definitely not alone, and it's unfortunate to hear that you feel that way. I wish you luck with finding other bigenders to talk to, and everything else you are facing in your life.

3. LionHearted

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That means a lot to me. It's just hard to find people to talk to about it. I hope to find some people soon. Thank you so much :slight_smile:

4. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi :slight_smile: I've recently accepted being bigender too

5. LionHearted

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi! May I ask about your story with it? Like how you figured it out and stuff

6. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I do not identify as Bigender but I experience it to a large degree. As in, I sometimes feel more male, and sometimes female, but I always feel both to some degree.

7. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was really confused because sometimes I thought I was transgender but sometimes I felt like I was happy as I was. Eventually I found out about bigender and it just fit completely.

8. LionHearted

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That happened with me too!! I looked up a whole bunch of stuff trying to figure out what I was feeling. I thought I was gender fluid for a bit, but then I discovered bigender and it all made so much sense.

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2015 at 07:49 PM ----------

May I ask how long it took for you to figure out what your gender identity was?

9. Crystalix

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to join this bigendered train :slight_smile: I was just wanted to know about other people's stories as well, I'm glad you started the conversation lionhearted, and know that you are definitely not alone ^^.

I used to always think that I was a transgendered mtf, though it wasn't really like I disliked being a boy for the most part. My male side and my female side battled it out for a while even resulting to me thinking I had a multiple personality disorder. When I really started to dive deep on tumblr and started to see people talking about genderqueer, I finally looked into different genders to see if I was actually transgender, I found bigendered which fit me very well. I was pretty content with it for a while until transgender visibility day. After seeing all the selfies, especially genderqueer people, I figured out that I didn't really have to choose one gender. I'm still not sure if bigender means being both at the same time, or switching off between the two, but I think I like being both at the same time. I'm loving the idea that I can rock this super cute skirt while having my hairy legs and beard all at the same time. Its allowed me to accept my body finally for what it is (even though it still needs some health improvements).

I hope my story helped you feel less alone. I would like to hear your story as well :slight_smile:! If there are any situations that you would want to hear from my life, don't hesitate to ask!

10. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Tough question... my gender is something that has been a confusing part of me my whole life. I remember as a small child having fantasies about turning into a girl - but I was perfectly happy being a boy, with typical "boy" interests. Puberty was a conflicting time for me - I remember going through phases of not wanting my body to become more masculine, and really wanting it. I questioned my identity a lot and considered the idea I might be trans in some way, but overall simply repressed it and tried to be "normal". It didn't help that in those days (only 8 or 9 years ago, but it was a very different internet landscape), all trans discourse online was very focused on typical "trans narrative" stories and I immediately felt I didn't fit that. Despite my research, I didn't know that non-binary identities were even a thing until a few years ago.

It wasn't until my life became better (my teenage years were extremely unhappy) - with a stable academic life, good group of friends, healthy relationship - that I became comfortable enough with myself to try and answer this question. That was about 5 months ago. At first I oscillated, thinking I must be trans because of reason X, but no I must be cis because Y, but I must be genderfluid because of Z... eventually I stopped trying to fit myself into any one box and just accept my gender for what it is. Then, it just seemed like "non-binary" fit me perfectly, because I could do whatever I liked without feeling certain pressures on me.

Sorry to ramble on a bit :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Forcing my life story on people is preferable to writing my dissertation right now! What about you? Did you have similar experiences, or very different?

11. 11th doctor

I am the same as u lionhearted and par I thought I was trans but then I was like I like being a guy so I was never sure. I had never heard of Bigender before now when u posted this and I would like to thank u I was so confused and didn't know what to tell people and to identify as. I am really lucky to have a friend that is pansexual and went through all this and can help me because she knows how it feels. so good luck and u r anything but alone in this huge huge world. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :wink:

12. LionHearted

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow, I'm glad you were able to figure it out!! I don't mind the rambling :slight_smile:
    I did have a similar experience. As a child, I remembered always wanting to be "the guy that saves the girl" or being a "Prince" or "knight" in some way. But I was also enjoying being a girl. I thought that I was just being a tomboy. But I would have these feelings of feeling like and wishing that I had a guy's body off and on since middle school. I thought it was a horrible thing, so I kept pushing the feelings and wants away.
    A few months ago, my girlfriend was taking a class about gender identity and sexuality. Of course, she would tell me what she had been learning and through that, I'd learned that my feelings were normal. I had no idea what my gender was. I thought maybe transgender for awhile (like you, wondering if it was repressed), but it didn't fit. So, her and I talked about it and we did a lot of research and that's how I discovered bigender. It fit like a glove. :slight_smile:
    I didn't even hear of the term transgender until I was a sophomore in high school (2010) and I didn't know about bigender, non-binary and hundreds of other identities and sexualities until a few months ago!

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2015 at 02:57 PM ----------

You're welcome!! I'm so glad you have someone who supports you on this! I'm really glad that you were able to figure out what to call it :slight_smile:
    And I thank you! It's always good to know you're not alone in this world :slight_smile:

13. IvorySteel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wanted to bump this thread because I'm moving towards explicitly identifying as Bigender (rather that generically non-binary).

Question: how does everyone feel about pronouns? Because I've been out as non-binary for a few months now and have asked people to use "they/them". but although that's alright, I feel like I'd really prefer sometimes he/him and sometimes she/her, depending on which gender feels more strongly at that time. But that's rather difficult in reality. :/

14. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have a necklace that I wear when I'm in "girl mode", so people know to use female pronouns.
    Although, most of the time my family still ignore it and just use male pronouns the whole time.
    I don't like they/them as it feels too distant to me so I'd rather people switch which pronouns they use.

15. heandsheisme

Hey, I'm Alex and sometimes Alexis. I'm bigender as well.
    I'll make a second post when I am not on mobile, with my story and general stuff.

But as for pronouns. I have yet to have anyone use female pronouns around me, mainly because of the people who know, only one genuinely lets me express my female self around her. She used Alexis the last time we were together, but there was never a case where pronouns were needed.

16. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recently learned the term, gender fluid. Though I don't really care for labels, I realized this is what I've been all my life. It helped me understand myself better. I have a balance of masculine & feminine energy. In my dress, ideas, attitude, interests. Some times I feel more one gender than the other. I found this forum because I was searching for a site that discussed this. It's nice to find others who identify this way as well.

17. heandsheisme

Well, I'm back. I Can't find the edit button so here I go on a second post.

I realized I was bigender around March, I had been crossdressing for a while before then and it gradually helped me realize there was something more. Most of what I do right now is wear lingerie, complain about how I have no one who I see regularly who can treat Alexis as a woman, and dream of the day when I can present female when I need to.

If you have any questions, or need to talk about anything, don't hesitate to ask. (*hug*)