1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any audiophiles out there?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Jolly Roger, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Jolly Roger

Hi, just wanted to know if there are any "audiophiles" on here, or just people who enjoy listening to high quality audio. If so what equipment are you sporting, and what equipment would you like to have?

What I listen to is a pair of sennheiser hd 650 headphones connected to a Fiio e17 dac/amp. I hope to upgrade my amp/dac to a tube amplifier but the good ones are just so darn expensive. :dry: And I wouldn't mind having a pair of Studio Monitors but my living arrangements probably wouldn't permit it.:lol:

2. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I actually enjoy the gritty, slightly lower quality of cassette tapes. It feels like an "authentic" experience.

People who are obsessed with sound quality piss me off a bit to be honest. Used to know this guy who, when we were sharing music suggestions, had a huge hissy fit about the quality of the songs I shared with him, "I would like the song if the quality wasn't so goddamn AWFUL!"

It wasn't even bad. What did he expect from obscure 90's indies bands?

3. timo

I'm not that much of an audiophile, but I know I could never go back to some shitty radio.

My system consists of an Akai record player, a Sony amplifier (also hooked up to my Mac) and some Sony speakers, all from the 80s (they're actually older than I am), but it sounds amazing. I love how it doesn't sound perfect because it's old, but it's still so much better than the regular priced stuff you can buy today.

4. Hemlock

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I recently set up a sound system in my room back home (record player, CD player, receiver, shelf speaker, cabinet speaker) but I couldn't tell you what brand or models most of them are by memory.

5. Jolly Roger

Yeah NingyoBroken I agree, there are quite a few snobs in the audiophile community, but I like to think of it as kind of a hobby. Like with TV's or Cars, the better it looks or the faster it runs, the more you'll spend and the more you'll enjoy it. With a good "audiophile" setup, sometimes you can even pick out the flaws in recordings rendering some things listenable at best(sounds silly but it's true). But yeah that guy sounds like an snobby asshole so please don't judge us based on him, like I said it's just another hobby and you really get desensitized, making you always want something better. But if you really want "authentic" you should go for Vinyl.

6. YunoGasai

i love the sound of hi fi speakers connected to a retro amp.the bass is punchy and i love it. as for when im out i either use my a30s for more acoustic singy songs and i use the apple ear pods for dubstep and more bassy songs yes i do have 2 pairs of headphones on me at all times XD. and right now because its midnight im using my 2015 astro a50s,they sound good nothing too impressive. but they are really comfortable. i really want a pair of momentum's on ear, i imagine they'll sound great on my astro mixamp

7. Ruprect

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some of my gear is getting older at this point, I still love it though. For vinyl, I have some technic 1210's with ortophon cartridges. For digital I use Pioneer cdj's. A Rane mixer then goes out to a pair of Mackie 824mk2 monitors or some Sony MDR V900 headphones.

Would love to get a kick ass tube amp one of these days. The warmth of the sound can't be replicated.

8. Psaurus918

I'm not but my best friend is. I know he has a pair of Sennheiser's but not sure which ones. He just recently picked up a pair of Hifiman he-560s and they sound good but idk if they are worth $900 he paid haha

9. Willard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I find myself complaining a lot about the sound quality when other people are playing music.

Although I think in most cases that is because of the audio source. You can have the best equipment there is, but if the files you're playing are crap, the music sounds like crap. In that way I often find music from Youtube (or most "illegal" downloaded files) having too bad of a quality to listen to. And apart from that I find it rather important to get the settings good. For example: some of my friends think the only way music sounds good is when they set the bass at max.

About my setup: I've got a lovely old Pioneer sound system that was my mom's, she didn't use it anymore so I got it. It consists of: a turntable (without needle, so can't use that one), cassette deck, CD player, tuner and an amplifier. I don't know about the rest of the system (only that it is all from Pioneer), but the amplifier is a Pioneer SA-50B if I remind correctly. I've got the two original speakers with that and I added two smaller speakers that where gathering dust in the attic to the not used outputs of the amplifier. These smaller speakers are placed at each end of my desk, and the big Pioneer speakers are on both sides of my room. So when you sit in front of the desk you're in the center of all the speakers.

I sometimes play CD's on that system (I have at least about 300 of them), but now I mostly hook up my laptop to the amplifier, as there is a lot of music that I haven't found on an album yet and can listen from Spotify. With Spotify set on "high quality", with using an equalizer (Equalify) and with the possibilities from SBX Pro Studios (software that came standard with my gaming laptop as it has a Soundblaster audio system built in), I can adjust the sound perfectly to how I like it.

Like I said: I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I think that this setup is quality-wise much better than what I've seen/heard at most places (that is talking about home audio systems). Apart from that it is great for gaming at the same time.

10. kem

kem

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile. I am a discerning consumer though so I buy the best quality I can afford. I can't hear the difference between ALAC and 256AAC (Apple fag) so I prefer AAC due to its size. I have my fair share of vinyls, and I definitely want more, but our record player broke so I haven't been able to listen to them much.

I'm weird in that I prefer open headphones to closed ones. I have a pair of Grado SR80 headphones for home use and a pair of Apple EarPods for when I'm out. I'm quite content with both but I'm thinking of upgrading to a fancier looking model of Grado, what with the ones with wooden chambers.

11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really. Although I listen to a lot of music, most of it ain't concentrated listening. For example, sometimes I'm playing a video game when I'm listening to music.

I'm usually happy with 192kps. I use Sennheiser MX 365 earphones + at least one pair as backup. I have other music playing equipment but I hardly use them. I'm usually listening to music via my MP3 player or a laptop. I've bought a lot of CDs and they're mostly to support artists I enjoy. Plus I like to collect pretty artwork.