1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by girlsnotgrey, Apr 16, 2014.

1. KingJude

It's fine taking your time, as I am, but you can't try and read the book whilst there are distractions around you, or you really do lose your way!

Until I started reading this one? No, actually! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'd never really understood the Nabokov 'hype'. I'd tried to read Lolita, but never really got into it, and so I wondered why he was considered a 'great' by many people, but this book helps me understand why! I saw it's beautiful cover (the Penguin modern classics version) and was immediately drawn to it, and I read the blurb and decided to buy it, before I had even realised it was by Nabokov! After this one, I'm definitely going to have to have a look at his other works! :slight_smile:

2. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Of course, and I've certainly experienced that frustration before. To the point where you start wondering if it'd be best to restart the book at another time. :confused:

Ah, now that's interesting. I would've assumed that you were (Haha.) What does the Modern Classics cover look like? This is the version available in the US [which is alright, though not bad]:

[​IMG]

Seems that was a risky blind buy, though am very happy to see that it paid off. :thumbsup: Were there any other works of his you're especially eager to start?

3. KingJude

Yeah, I've often tried reading books in cars, on trains etc. and lo and behold, I return home to find I simply cannot recall what I have read! I have an excellent memory, but if the book is heavy, and requires deep reading, it is so easy for me to realise that after an extended time of reading I simply cannot recall what has happened! :bang:

I'm just really excited by this book! xD I am a very fussy person, generally, when it comes to literature, but I'm hooked by this one, and I feel like I need to atone for having dismissed Nabokov's work in the past!

Ah. No, the one I meant looks like this:

[​IMG]

It looks rather unimaginative and dull like that, but I thought it was very pretty when I saw it! :icon_bigg

I also bought 'Death of a Salesman' by Arthur Miller, which I'm excited to read! He's my favourite playwright, with 'The Crucible' being my most favourite play, so it's a travesty that I have not yet read it! Have you ever seen/read any of his work? :slight_smile:

I'm also sanguine about reading 'A Streetcar Named Desire' by Tennessee Williams. It's the most famous play written by Williams, the most famous American playwright ever, so I thought I should get around to it at last! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

What about you? Any books you are currently reading/want to start reading?

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am re-reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time in a eight years or so.

5. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    Right now I'm switching back and forth between Jane Eyre, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and the first Harry Potter book (for the 4560980th time). Always wanted to read Death of a Salesman!
    I'd be really interested in reading A Streetcar Named Desire, too. Never been to the play, but I've seen two film versions of it, the superior of course being Vivien Leigh and Marlon Brando. :wink: I think Blanche DuBois is such a fascinating character and reading the way Williams intended it without all the editing and censorship films cause would be awesome.

6. KingJude

I think I may have seen part of the Marlon Brando version at some point... Definitely not seen all of it though! Once I've finished reading it, I will definitely try and watch it. It'll be interesting to compare them! I got a strange look from the librarian at school today for bringing such filth as Tennessee Williams into the school library! :grin: This country really needs to move on! :roflmao:

Oh yeah, and Marlon Brando was pretty hot when he was young, which will be a bonus! :icon_bigg

#446 KingJude, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  7. RikkuOrihara667

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Blackout by Rob Thurman I read her works a lot. It's urban fantasy

8. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    People are still weird about Tennessee Williams like that? Yeesh.
    Marlon Brando was pretty hot, and in that movie he is sweaty, muscular sex on legs. :wink:

I have to find a way to get my hands on the text version. I've seen a lot of Williams adaptations but never read any!

9. Bane

Winnipeg, Canada (aka temporary paradise)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Malice Box- Martin Langfield

10. KingJude

My school is stuck in the dark ages! Maybe I should bring 'Lolita' into school! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Then I'd get some weird looks for sure! :grin:

Yeah he was! *drools* :grin:

Yeah. I haven't actually started it yet, because I'm currently reading about a billion books, but I'll let you know what it's like when I finally get around to reading it! xD

11. Lazuri

Driving theory. End my suffering please. Like, literally kill me where I stand.

12. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    Always fun to make prudish people a teeny bit uncomfortable. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I know how you feel, I'm going back and forth between 3 books, and then suddenly I decided to try Robinson Crusoe again.
    Why did I do that to myself? I remember now why I couldn't finish it before. There is No. Excuse. for one sentence to be a page and half long.
    I love reading, even books that bore other people to death. But this is just too much.

13. 2112

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin.

14. Rainbow Girl

I'm currently reading the first Vampire Academy book. I'm not very far in but I like it so far.

15. m e l v i n

just finished all of Dan Brown's novels :slight_smile:

16. 2112

A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin.

17. Aro

Aro

Just about finished Dragon Age: The Masked Empire. Will be moving on to Dragon Age: Last Flight after this one. Book is sitting on my desk! That is about enough admitting to nerd-dome for tonight, though, I think. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I was about to start one of the Game of Thrones books as well, but that's on hold.

18. iiimee

The Full Spectrum... Good book! L Carole's story is the best so far.

19. RadioRoss

The Book Thief and A Scanner Darkly....I should really try not to read two books at a time x)

20. Ahri

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just finished Poster Boy by Anne Tenino and it was awesome! It's the (last?) book in the series about frats guys getting together and stuff (M/M). There were some steamy scenes. The books in this series were pretty good so I recommend you read it if you're maybe college aged??

Going to start on Double Full by Kinder Alexander but still reading some reviews to see if its good or not