1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" offensive?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MintberryCrunch, Dec 22, 2014.

1. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This post was actually inspired by the Christian Right perspective--someone on another site I visit posted "I'm saying 'Merry Christmas' to everyone and I don't care if you're offended!" and my response was "who is actually offended by that?"

I've never heard a Jewish person tell me they're offended by "Merry Christmas" or that they believe a Christmas tree should be called a "holiday tree" (which is what most businesses call them now).

It's manufactured offense--I almost never see it in reality.

2. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm trying to train myself to say Happy Holidays not to be more politically correct, but just to be more conscientious and aware that there are many other cultures in my nation, and because I understand that it might make them feel good to be acknowledged for themselves/as individuals who may or may not conform to what's been (considered) the 'default' religion & culture of the U.S. up until the past few decades.

Alternately, I find myself still occasionally saying "Merry Christmas" anyway, because it's what's ingrained in me; it's what I'm used to saying (and celebrating) since childhood. It's just more comfortable coming off the tongue.

Most people have accepted both from me amicably & warmly. The few who have piped up have usually said something like "Merry Christmas. It's Merry Christmas for me!" - although they usually say so with a smile and not a frown and a bark.

Still, I usually take such an overemphasis to be a pointed dig at the use of "Happy Holidays."

And it should be noted that while I live in a more liberal state, the county & area I'm in runs "red" (conservative, in elections). So around here, it's not too much of a surprise.

On the receiving end, I don't mind being wished either one. Although because I celebrate Christmas, I find being wished a Merry Christmas automatically gives me more of a warm feeling & sense of bonhomie. :slight_smile: So I like it. (Just not used to "Happy Holidays" associated with that same feeling, I guess. Maybe with time and more people using it. I don't know. :shrug:

My, I DID blather on a lot.... :icon_redf

3. SomeLeviathan

weird, I've encountered it a lot and it alwasy seems like petulant childish behavior to me.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mention Christmas as a greeting until Christmas day or in Christmas cards. I only mention holidays if I know the person I'm talking to is having a break; it's always felt stupid to me to say "happy holidays" to someone working two days before Christmas.

"Hello" and "good morning" and every other ordinary greeting should suffice until it actually comes to Christmas itself.

5. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, if it's the atheists doing it, it's definitely childish. It's funny how similar they are to the Christian Right. Emulating their "enemy" isn't going to get them anywhere.

6. Adam1969

I say Happy Holidays from Thanksgiving to Jan 1. Why, because there are too many holidays in there to keep track of. Also, as it is in fact the holiday season, why not nicely wish people a "Happy Holiday"!? If they view that as an affront to their religion, well, that's insecurity speakin and there is no need to address it! Oh, on the day of the specific holiday I will certainly give a greeting for that specific day! Man, FOX has made even this congenial nicety an issue! :eusa_doh:

7. SomeLeviathan

yeah we probably hang out with different kinds of people. I was pretty involved with Movement Atheism who would genuinely get upset when people would say "bless you" or "thank god" or "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Easter" and it always struck me as really annoying.

that said, there are a lot of similarities between the authoritarian wing of New Atheism (Sam Harris, ayaan Hirsi Ali) and the authoritarian Christian right.

8. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I say Happy Holidays since I am working in retail and it is more inclusive. There is a fairly decent size, well as decent of a size as my small area can be, of Jewish, Muslim and Indian and other beliefs. I don't know what anyone believes so I say Happy Holidays or have a wonderful holiday. If someone says Merry Christmas to me I will say Merry Christmas to you as well.

Even though I am an Atheist I still celebrate Christmas (this is my first Christmas as one) so I absolutely take no offense to someone saying Merry Christmas.

9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I speak first I say "Happy Holidays" unless I know quite well what holiday the person in question celebrates. If I speak second I return whatever holiday greeting I am offered. I don't take offense at any of them. I genuinely hope people have a good Christmas and a good Hanukkah and a good Kwanzaa and a good Diwali and a good Thursday and I don't understand the point of being offended when someone is wishing you well. In fact the only thing in this whole thing that really offends me is the whole attitude like this one:

The idea that anyone, especially a Christian, would admit to wishing someone a Merry Christmas with malice in their hearts is just mind boggling to me--not to mention one of the least Christian things I can think of...

10. Melanie

Melanie Guest

If I'm fairly certain someone is not Christian I will say happy holidays or "have a great holiday". If I am not sure at all then of course the default is happy holidays. If someone is a Christian (like me) then I will say merry Christmas.

11. DinelodiiGitli

My family always say "Merry Christmas", I'm not sure why either would be considered offensive. If I say "Happy Holidays!" or "Merry Christmas!" I'm doing so out of the kindness of my heart and soul in the hopes that perhaps it will brighten someone's day. I guess you can please all of the people all of the time no matter if you try or not.
    For the record I am Religious and have absolutely no problem with someone being Atheist. However Anti-Theists seem a bit....un-friendly.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not offensive, just annoying (the Christmas-specific one).

Saying something like "It's not 'Happy Holidays!,' it's 'Merry Christmas!'" I would call offensive.

#32 Browncoat, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  13. Fiziks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am not offended either way. I always try to remember to respond politely using "Humbug."

#33 Fiziks, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  14. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not remotely offended by either greeting and I think it's crazy that people flip out over this. I won't say that this happens often, but I've been wished "Happy Hannukah" on several occasions and I always just smile and say "you too". Why would it bother you if somebody references a holiday you don't celebrate? The bottom line is that it's a pleasantry and they're just trying to wish you well -- not trying to brainwash you, force their beliefs on you, or belittle your own beliefs.

On the other hand, I have absolutely no problem with Happy Holidays either. If you don't know what someone celebrates, I think it's more than reasonable to go with a more generic, inclusive comment. I think it's pretty crazy though when people go so overboard as to call it a "holiday tree" -- it's a Christmas tree. I wouldn't call a menorah a "holiday lamp". So yeah, while I can certainly respect trying to go with a "safer" option, I do think political correctness goes way too far sometimes.

"Season's Greetings" sucks though. :grin:

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Years of listening to condescending Christians constantly complain about everyone that doesn't observe Christmas as a religious holiday has over-sensitized me to greeting.

16. all paths

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :roflmao:

Thank you! I like that!

17. Rynthae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly I'm pagan, but if someone says Merry Christmas to me, I say it back. :slight_smile: If someone says Happy Holidays to me, I'll say it back. If someone ever told me Happy Hanukkah, I'd say it back, too. None of them offend me, and honestly the way I see it, most everyone celebrates something this time of year, and so whatever holiday greeting and wishes they give, the most important thing is that they are thinking of you and wishing you well. :slight_smile:

18. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Christians get offended if someone says Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas yet you dont see Jewish people yelling "Dont say Happy Holidays, It's Happy Hanukkah!" Just sayin.

19. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, and I hate people who think Happy Holidays is somehow better. Hello? Holiday = holy day. /themoreyouknow

20. Rainbow Girl

I usually ask someone if they celebrate Christmas before I say anything. If they say yes, I say "Merry Christmas." If they say no and tell me what they do celebrate I wish them a happy whatever that holiday is. If they say no and don't tell me what if anything the do celebrate, I say, "Happy Holidays."