1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Multiplayer vs Online

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Quiet Raven, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Quiet Raven

Which do you prefer? Playing with people who are in the same room as you, locally, or playing online with people in different locations?

As for myself, local all the way. I grew up playing N64 and GameCube games, playing a lot of multiplayer games with my brothers. Games like GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Smash Bros, and many others. When I was introduced to online play, it was intriguing. But my interest didn't last too long.

It just isn't nearly as fun when I am not with the person, talking with them, seeing their reactions.

Sure, online is fun sometimes. Especially when mixed with local, lol. Like when me and bro play Mario Kart 8 and then go online at the same time. But if it is just me, going online with a bunch of random people, I tend to get bored fast.

2. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

Local all the way, but I'm biased because where I live I have a awful internet connection. So I usually don't waste my time online.

3. Raceme

Locally, especially with rage inducing games like Smash Bros. It's always so much more fun to finish a match and suddenly find the room full of wild gestures and ridiculously loud swearing!

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It depends.

I don't really consider the folks I mingle with offline as friends, in the sense that we're not terribly close. We just have history together, so we know of one another, as opposed to knowing one another, if that makes any sense. There's one exception, but we won't talk about her right now...

That said, it's all right to play with folks in the same room. There's just something about actually seeing somebody's reactions/responses, especially when you're what they are responding to. This is especially true, when I Falcon Punch the shit out of somebody in Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Priceless.

But online has it's perks. There's a motley little crew I run around with, though we're starting to go our separate ways. Still, I play with them several times a month, and we have some enjoyable-enough times. But it can be annoying to play online, if you deal with spammers/hackers/assholes, or you can't find anybody to actually connect with. When you do though, it can be worth it.

5. Gay Cody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I mostly play online, cause I can't really go to friends houses alot.

6. C P

C P

I have a similar situation as this. Most of my closer friends(who game) have since moved away after high school, so we only get to meet up on occasion; I pretty am stuck with resorting to online play nowadays. It isn't bad(because it is obviously useful), but I'd say I prefer local multiplayer anyday.

Said friends and myself used to play on the bus ride to school and stuff since we all had DS'. It was funny how three of us were playing together one morning on the bus ride and some fourth player called 'pedobear' or something really close joined in on Mario Party and kicked all our asses; never did find out who that was.

7. Quiet Raven

Yeah, I am certainly glad online play exists, because for many of us, that is our only option.

Even for me, the only people I ever played local multiplayer with much is my brothers, but one of them is in China now. So whenever he gets around to getting video games again, (he didn't take any with him) online will be our only option.

Plus, sometimes I meet friends online, and like to play with them. Even if online isn't quite as fun, it is better then not being able to play at all.

8. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Playing in the same room is by far the most fun for me, especially if it's a classic split-screen game like Goldeneye, Mario Kart, etc. Online is the next best. For the most part I don't really like playing against the CPU for anything competitive like Call of Duty or sports games, but I don't mind it for games like Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption.

In-person with friends is definitely the best though. The rage that comes from moments like this is unbeatable. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. Hemlock

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Definitely local. You can't get that same human experience with a headset and internet connection. Some of my fondest memories are of me and my friends sitting on the couch, playing games like Star Wars Battlefront, Smash Bros., Mario Cart, etc., and laughing uncontrollably.

10. White Knight

Does playing PS/Xbox with brother, cousin and sister-in-law count as local? We used to play Soul Calibur tournaments which was fun. Also played several online games with brother (me on PC, he on his laptop) in the same room, that was also fun.

Online gaming unfortunately what it's used to be. Most games put emphasis on solo game play until you reach level cap. Expect you to make friends while reaching the cap and probably finding a guild. So I don't make any new friends in online games anymore.

I like games like Champions Online or City of Heroes... you can see how creative other people in the game are. Just standing in a crowded space and watching people is fun... costumes, hero names or some duels. Of course getting tells about how good my characters look is making my day.

City of Heroes has that low level hazard zone, the Hollows. You started to make your first friends in there because it was a team based game and that hardship you are going thru were making you feel closer to each other. With our high level toons many support class players watched over newbies in the zone, that is how you met other people and your heroes in the game. *Sigh* I really miss that game sometimes.

11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer playing with people in the same room as me. Although playing online is often the only way to get a lot of players and I don't usually like sharing anything screens. I f**King love team deathmatches. I can destroy people and feel less guilty about it. Just thinking about it makes me want to hook my console up to the internet right now. But I would be blasting some killing spree music like Eurobeat or Happy Hardcore songs about love and I don't want to wake my neighbours up at 7.37 am.

There's something awesome about playing against people offline. I know this is going to sound arrogant, but I don't always like to take competition 100% seriously. My god, it's not a tournament, so, let's focus on fun. I used to always, always, always play at my very best! I could predict the plans of most players. Nowadays I'd rather hold back a little, especially if I'm playing against a less experienced kid. I've gained newfound appreciation for games which incorporate random chance. Unless it's Mario Party. Sorry, it just doesn't agree with me. Although I won't bitch and whine if I get hit with a blue shell in Mario Kart. I need to play the new game sometime.

GoldenEye is f**king awesome. Just saying. I didn't mind sharing screens then. The facility level was my faveourite. I liked the paintball mode.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Either for co-op, but definitely local if you're playing against each other. How are you supposed to effectively trash talk with somebody you don't even know? It's a little pointless if bragging rights aren't on the line. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Why is this even a question? Local all the way.