1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date a twin?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Anongirl123, Nov 22, 2014.

?

Would you date a twin?

1. Absolutely!

47 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. Preferably not

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Maybe...

12 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Anongirl123

Hey guys. Today I was writing my personal statement for college, and I decided to write about my experiences as an identical twin. Even though my twin sister is straight and I'm gay (I think), I didn't mention this in my essay.

It got me thinking about some stuff though. I was doing a bit of twin research on my laptop to jog my memory, get the creativity flowing, and it just brought up a lot of old negative feelings about my twin-ness. I even stumbled across an experience project website filled with people married to identical twins ranting on about how horrible it is being married to a twin. Everyone was essentially saying how if they could deter one person from the 'trap' of marrying a twin, they would feel like they had done a good deed. That they would tell any person foolish enough to believe that a normal relationship with a twin is possible to run, run, run as fast as they can, because no relationship can survive the ever intrusive "twin bond." You'll always be playing second fiddle, you'll always be the third wheel, and it'll eventually break you.

It definitely drudged up a lot of negative feelings I've had about being an identical twin. I do believe it got a lot worse when I started questioning my sexuality, because that just added a whole new layer of complexity to my relationship with my twin. I've struggled a lot over the years - especially as I've gotten older - with identity/individuality issues, and feeling insecure and anxious about being a twin. In the past, I've had friends tell me that I was unapproachable at first, because they were afraid of getting my name wrong. I feel like the whole twin thing wouldn't be a bonus in any future relationship of mine, but rather baggage that someone would have to be kind enough to put up with.

So, I thought I'd settle the score by asking a group of impartial people! Would you date an identical twin?

And please, be completely honest. I'm really curious what people actually think.

#1 Anongirl123, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  2. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. tulipinacup

No, I wouldn't date my twin thank you for asking

4. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Never really though about it, but I don't really care either way. Twin or no twin, as long as he's a nice person, then great.

5. Anongirl123

Clever :icon_bigg

By any chance, is he gay too? Just wondering.

6. LD579

I can't believe this is an actual question, with no offense to you. As a twin myself, it's not a deterrent, and the fact that it could be for some is foreign and mind-boggling. I think there's definite confirmation bias going on with that experience project, mostly because for those who are unsatisfied with their marriage to twins, they'd probably be more likely to search for such things on Google and rant about them accordingly. For those who are married to people who are twins but are satisfied, they'd be more likely to see it as a marriage to someone who's coincidentally a twin and thus wouldn't seek out such things.

7. Blossom85

I wouldn't date my own twin, but yes.. If I met someone and they told me they were a twin, identical or fraternal and I really liked him or her, then yes I would date that person.. Being a twin has no bearing on if I would date someone and I would be horrified to think someone might be fine to date someone and the moment they found out he or she was a twin, reconsider.. It would be like finding out you have a family history of diabetes or cancer.. It is a part of you and if people can't accept that and don't wanna date you because you are a twin, then it is their issue to deal with, not anyone else's.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah, in fact the guy I kind of like right now is a twin

9. Quiet Raven

I have dated an identical twin in the past. The fact that she was a twin was not a problem in the least.

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

You mean my own twin? absolutely ^^ though i'd prefer a direct clone of me

11. BelleFromHell

I have two good friends who are identical twins. Aside from occasionally mistaking one for the other, our friendship wouldn't be any different if they weren't twins. I assume a romantic relationship with a twin wouldn't be much different either, so why not?

12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I mis-read the options and clicked the wrong one... Oh well. I'm always afraid that twins have so many opportunities to play pranks on unsuspecting/gullible people like me, but that's a minor note. It wouldn't keep me from loving the twin I love, if I did love one of them.

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Out of the 2 relationships that I have been in, both have been with people that have an identical twin. As long as I like somebody, it does not matter to me of they have/don't have a twin.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I struggle to see any problems that would arise merely because of a twin.

The only situation I can think of is if I were to be dating both.

15. Mickz

Of course I would, I'm crushing on a twin at the moment too and they're awesome so why not?

16. Ditz

I dated an identical twin years ago... On an interesting side note, both brothers where gay and completely in the closet to each other and the rest of the world at the time.

On the first night I met them we where a group of friends that went to watch a movie. Somehow both tried to get a seat next to me and so I ended up right smack in the middle of the two, with both of them trying to feel me up in the dark without knowing the other was doing the same.

Anyhow, although they looked identical, they both had very different personalities and I ended up dating one. It was no different from any other relationship so no need to worry about that.

17. Hexagon

Sure. Why not?

18. Rainbows~Exist

19. Yosia