1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP, I spilled water on my laptop.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by josh9623, Oct 23, 2014.

1. josh9623

so I spilled a pitcher of water on my laptop last night. I opened it up, dried the few drops of water the seemed to get inside. then I put it under a fan until tonight. I turned it on and it will power up but the letter keys, modifier keys, pretty much everything but the number keys aren't working. the computer will register that you are trying to type but won't actually put a letter. does this sound like I might just need a new keyboard, or is the logic board shot?

2. onelonelygirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, the fact you turned it on so soon after a spillage as much as a pitcher probably means its shot. I've seen worse tho. Did you take the battery out?

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    All at your own risk.

You might have a look at this:
    How to Save a Laptop from Liquid Damage: 14 Steps - wikiHow

My opinion: I had a service manual, took off the keyboard, turned it upside down and let it dry (in the sun). It worked again 1-2 days later .
    Some keyboards can be easily replaced, so it might make sense to get another one if it does not work after drying.

(*hug*)

4. josh9623

I would take the battery out but I don't have the tools to do so, and the keyboard is permanently fastened to the upper case. I went through everything I could get to and visually inspected what i could not. the water didn't get to the logic board but it got close. I dried everything inside and what I could get to on the keyboard from the top by taking the keys off. it did sit upside down for a few hours immediately after the spill and very little water came out. I might try taking it to one of the computer labs on campus and trying an external keyboard before I drop the cash for tools and a new upper case.

5. ConfuseCupcake49

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try rice...might not work, but I know it works with phones and I pods

6. kem

kem

Funny thing, I spilt like 3 drops of water on my laptop once and the Enter key stopped working. Meanwhile, a friend of mine spilt coke on her entire laptop keyboard and nothing happened.

7. duende84

Use a vacuum cleaner to suck out as much water and put it in a warm sunny place. Take out the battery.