1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I date a guy with HIV?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ashanti, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Ashanti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey all,

I met a really cool guy...
    After 2 weeks of dating he told me of his HIV........

Should i continue? or break it off?

2. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's probably none of my business, but did you have sex with him before he told you? If so, I highly suggest that you get tested for HIV.

3. RAdam

That depends on how much you care for him. Nowadays there are good prevention drugs that make it hard for you to get infected. Would you love him enough to finance PrEP and deal with his emotional and physical troubles that come with being infected? Remember to use PrEP in combination with a condom ALWAYS have the safest sex possible with someone especially if he/she is infected with HIV.

It's a risk you're taking, but if it's real love then why not.

I would personally never date someone with HIV idk it just scares me too much.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only you can decide if you should continue the relationship, but I personally would not break it off. Telling you that he is HIV+ would have been a huge thing for him and I think it demonstrates how credible he is as a person that he has done just that. It also suggests a level of commitment to a future relationship with you.

The only thing that should make you run for the hills is if he has already done anything to expose you to the virus before telling you, eg. unprotected sex. That would be unforgivable.

It is entirely possible for a person who is HIV+ to enjoy a good and committed relationship with someone who is HIV-, subject to important considerations.

Take a look at this page from NAM (a UK website) for more information. It's written with the HIV+ person in mind, but the information is reliable and worth reading. Obviously the contact details will not be relevant to your country, but I'm sure you will have good support systems and processes in place in NZ if you want to take the relationship forward.

HIV & AIDS Information :: Living with HIV - Having a relationship with an HIV-negative partner

5. Ashanti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    to PlantSoul
    Hey Thanks for asking it's ok :slight_smile:
    We rimmed and i gave oral and he nearly had sex with me without condom but was only for like 10 seconds and not all the way in there...no cumming only outside body.
    Yeah i Betta.. i get the bloods done today. :slight_smile:
    Cheers

6. Big warning, right there.

Relationships are based on trust. Can you trust him?

7. Ashanti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    To Patrick...
    Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:
    The first night with him if you read the post above is what happened and i told him if he want's sex to use a condom ...which i should not of had to ask... i was suspicious next day because he let me know he was busy for the day and left his apartment keys with me while he went out.. then i was scrounging around and found that he was a member of a group called body positive and he gave seminars/Lectures on being HIV+ yet he should have known better to try sex with me without protection... maybe he was scared I'd run if he told me... so I'm getting tested today....

---------- Post added 21st Oct 2014 at 06:30 AM ----------

Yes indeed big warning, red flags... I'll get tested today and will talk to him this weekend about it.

#7 Ashanti, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not an auspicious start, to say the least....

This is, however, a separate issue from the actual risk.

IF he is on his meds and respects the regimen of taking them as prescribed at all times, IF his viral load is undetectable, and IF you are using condoms, always, the risk to the uninfected partner is very low.

9. RainbowSocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    While only you can make the decision to date someone that is HIV+ I'm going to say something about the other part...

He knew he was HIV+ and yet allowed sexual contact to take place before telling you AND was willing and wanting to have sex with you without using a condom, intentionally exposing you to HIV.

Dude, run for the hills.

10. Gen

Gen

According to what you've described, he didn't volunteer this information. You discovered it and he was forced to admit to it. If that wasn't deal-breaking enough, the fact that he attempted to have intercourse with you without protection is beyond unacceptable. In fact, it is actually illegal in several countries.

Should most people be open to entering relationships with HIV+ individuals who are consistent with their medication, aware of the risks, and thoughtful of the safety of others? Absolutely. Would I recommend dating this individual specific? Absolutely not. He has shown none of those qualities. Not to mention, if he has to be convinced to practice simple safe sex, then how are you supposed to be certain that he is strictly following his medication regime. It is not worth the risk.

11. Agreed. That shows a lack of respect and concern for your health, which is something that I think should always be in any kind of relationship.

12. Flutters1980

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this! He put you at risk without being upfront about his status before you guys were together sexually.

13. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

In light of the extra information you provided Ashanti, I can only stand by the comments I made in the second paragraph of my earlier posting.

If you decide to walk away it will not be because he is HIV+, but because he knowingly exposed you to the risk of HIV.

I'm pleased you are getting tested and I hope you are okay

14. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I personally wouldn't be with someone who has HIV. It disgusts me. I would never date a person with a contagious disease. I wouldn't be able to do anything sexual at all, and would be afraid even to kiss them.

But hey, if you like the guy enough... Just be safe...

15. Ashanti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

Hey Thanks Patrick,

I'll be back l8tr on to share my results :slight_smile:
    ( please be Negative)

16. SpaceSuit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. I can't believe he treated you that way. :frowning2:. I hope the tests come back negative. My vote is for not being involved with him.

17. Ashanti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey all I just got tested and results were.........Negative!
    My heart can beat normally again :slight_smile:
    I got the rapid 4th gen test.

18. Excellent. Well done for biting the bullet and getting tested.

If you do tell this guy to piss off (which I'd definitely recommend), i'd be sure to tell him it was the trust issue, rather than his HIV status. You can't trust someone who lies about something as important as that. There should be no shame in having HIV. There should definitely be shame about having HIV and then having anything resembling penetrative, unprotected sex with someone without full disclosure.

Don't let him try to rationalise what he did.

19. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

I'm glad you got tested straight away and that the test results are negative.

Given what you have mentioned, and it seems that he wasn't up front about his HIV status with you, you need to ask yourself, as to whether you can trust him, and whether or not it might be best just to leave things at a friendship level for the time being - that is if you want to; although you might have already reached the point of just wanting to leave this experience behind you.

I would encourage you though to have an open discussion with him, about how this experience made you feel, and the thoughts that raced through your mind as you went in for the test, and waited for the results. I do think it would be worthwhile sharing it with him, so that he understands that his actions, and withholding of information can seriously harm others. Speaking with him about it, might also provide you with an additional sense of closure.

20. Ashanti

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey All,
    Thanks for your support .. I'm seeing him again for a long weekend here in NZ and I'll have a good chat with him:slight_smile: