1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at camp

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Owl333, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

So I'm going to camp soon, and I'm not sure if I should be out or stealth about being trans*. I've managed to be stealth all year at school, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep my situation a secret at camp, seeing as it's overnight. There's also a camping trip with no bathrooms so that will be difficult. The camp is supportive and said it's completely my choice whether I come out or not, which is great, but it's the kids I'm worried about. Should I go in out and proud or just play it by ear? I know only I can decide that, but I was just wondering what you guys think? Thanks! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

2. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would advise playing it by ear. If you go in "out and proud" as you say, there's always the chance of a negative reception. And I don't mean just dirty looks--there's always the possibility of physical harm. I don't know what kind of camp it is, but there's always the slim chance that someone there could go to the extreme and cause you harm. If you play it by ear and take some time to judge what others' reactions might be, you would be more suited to keep yourself safe and avoid the negativity that might come with going into it "out and proud." Also, if you play it by ear, you can always tell certain people at certain times. You can start by telling people whom you trust and whom you believe will have a positive reaction to you coming out. That way you can filter who knows and who doesn't based on your judgement of them.

I'm not a supporter of staying in the closet if you don't want to; I'm just concerned for the negative outcomes of throwing it out there that you're trans*. I don't know what kind of camp it is, which could have a large impact on whether you come out or not. Like you said, only you can choose whether to march in proud or to play it by ear, but I think you'll make the correct choice, whichever it happens to be.

3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Play it by ear. Go in and get a feel for the people there and who is or is not accepting. Then you can decide whether to come out to everyone or just a handful of accepting people or no one at all. If your original intention was to be out and proud, then you might end up out to everyone if they seem accepting. Just wait until you get a feel for the people to make sure.

4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

No bathrooms? I don't think you're thinking this through. How are you going to go?

That being said, It will probably be easier on you not to hide it.

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure of the setup of the camp, but it may be hard to hide it. I would play by ear if you do have the option to remain stealth. If the people are supportive and you are comfortable, then I would say to go for it :slight_smile:

6. Owl333

Owl333 Guest

Only for one night when we go on the overnight camping trip. The rest of the week there's a bathroom with stalls and private showers and everything. I did think it through we had a long discussion with the person who runs the camp, and he was very supportive. I'm nervous, but I can't not live my life just because I'm trans.That being said I'll probably have to go behindd a tree in the dead of night or something.

---------- Post added 29th Jul 2014 at 09:57 PM ----------

Thanks for all your advice btw guys! :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: