1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to a gay support group tomorrow

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by likethewind, Jul 22, 2014.

1. likethewind

likethewind Guest

Hi. Just thought I'd let everyone know: I'm going to attend a moderated "coming out" group tomorrow. The place is a distance from me, but I'm going to head there after work. If you've seen some of my other posts, I am making an effort to meet other people. In all honesty, I guess I'm looking for a good example (not sure if that's the right word) to give me the courage to move forward.

It's been really nice reading the posts here (and I'll continue to do so), but I always get more out of face-to-face support. So I'm taking a chance.

Please keep me in your good thoughts.

2. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi likethewind (what a lovely nickname by the way),

well done on making the effort, and taking the initiative! I'm planning to do a similar thing myself, as soon as family (well, ex-family) responsibilities allow.

Yes I send some *good thoughts* your way...and don't worry, if you feel nervous at all, remember that most probably everyone else in the group would be feeling that, too! People usually put on a front of confidence, but really lots of folks kind of 'fake it' or so I was told once (by a person who I always assumed was oh so confident, and they then confided in me that it was kind of an act!)

Damien :slight_smile:

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It is really great that you have decided to attend a coming out group. It is definitely a good way to meet others, and likely a chance to share your own experiences thus far and receive encouragement to continue on your path. Having attended meetings of a support/social group myself, and having listened to others' coming out stories, has helped me in coming out to others, and eventually to my family.

Hopefully you will find it encouraging and that you will get out of it, what you are looking for. :slight_smile:

4. likethewind

likethewind Guest

Thanks for the good wishes, Damien. I'm not so nervous about going — I've put myself in social situations with other gay men over the past year or so, but none of those situations was really to talk about coming out — I'm more concerned I'll be sitting with a group of teenagers!

I actually contacted the leader of the group a few weeks ago (after I quit EC the first time), who told me there are some older regular members — but due to the distance, I never went. But I'm committed to go tomorrow.

And thank you for sharing your experience, Mirko. I'm heading to the meeting cautiously optimistic (or something like that!).

#4 likethewind, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
  5. Hyaline

Hearing what others did can and likely will help. While you might not immediately identify with them, you never know until you experience it. If you read the coming out stories you often see so many different experiences, but the feelings that many of us shared through those emotional times bond us all together.

Hopefully you'll find a bit of yourself there you never knew was in you.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

6. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing your story. It's always good to read how people are progressing on their journey. Best wishes for a meaningful support group!

7. likethewind

likethewind Guest

Thanks Hyaline and sagebrush. Tomorrow will be a long day. Not sure if I'll have a chance to post tomorrow night, but I'll be sure to share my experience later this week.

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can only be a good thing to do!!
    The hardest thing is the lead up to it .. But once you are there it will be great!!

9. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a great experience. There are 2 monthly groups that I make a point to attend. One is made up mostly of supportive older people who have gay friends or relatives, and the other is more of a mix of gay and straight (and a little more intellectual as well). Both have been wonderful for helping me realize that I'm not alone and people really ARE loving and accepting. That goes a long way.

10. likethewind

likethewind Guest

Thanks for your comments. At work now, and definitely feeling a bit more nervous, but I won't back down.

11. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that's the spirit.:thumbsup:

12. BeingEarnest

I hope you have a grand time.
    I wish wish wish there were a support group for gay men in my area. I have been to 2 different gay community centers, and both said they have had no luck getting a group for gay men together. The coming out group,for lesbians are running strong.
    EC has been a real blessing in the absence of a group. And I have been in contact with a couple of gay colleagues who are becoming wonderful friends. They have been so incredibly supportive, and helpful in a way that none of the straight friends I have can be. It really is wonderful not to be alone.
    I hope the group goes well for you.

13. likethewind

likethewind Guest

Just returned home and heading to bed in a minute.

The group was fine — but definitely too far to attend on a regular basis. I met some people before the meeting for a bite to eat — and was loudly outed to the restaurant and introduced as "a virgin." Because I don't live in that area, I don't really care much — but I thought it was pretty inconsiderate. The guy who said it knew I was not out. Regardless, there were a couple guys at the meeting who shared things that were helpful.

I'm glad there are people on EC who understand the need to come out on one's own terms. That was honestly what I thought about on my drive home: I'm doing OK, I'm taking actions — the rest will take care of itself in time.

14. Really

Excuse my French but CHRIST ON A CRUTCH! Did anyone call this guy out on his behaviour? How asinine can people be? I'm sorry but this would make me want to punch him in the mouth even though I hate violence and love my hands.

...breathe...

OK. Rant over.

15. Hyaline

Dittos.... Ugh... That is just not OK. Liked going to an alcoholics anonymous meeting and buying everyone a round of drinks. Ugh.... Perhaps finding a group closer to you would be better... Just don't let the actions of one person taint your wanting to get involved in a group closer to home.

16. likethewind

likethewind Guest

I've done a number of things this past week regarding gay issues. I want to step back for a few days and focus on the rest of my life, which is also very important to me. I need to keep all this in perspective.

17. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your experience was so terribly wrong. That's not support, it's public outing and shaming. People aren't all like that, but it goes to show that being gay doesn't automatically grant anyone common sense and empathy. Hell of a way to learn that lesson. (&&&)

The process of coming out can use up a lot of your emotions and energy. This is all very new to most of us. Probably all of us actually. Nothing wrong with giving yourself time to catch up. I've found that much of my progress has been sudden and crashing, followed by long periods of not much, like the pressures along a fault line that suddenly cause an earthquake and multiple aftershocks, and then long periods of calm. Nothing wrong with giving yourself time to adjust and regroup.

18. BeingEarnest

Eek!
    I wonder how the other guys reacted to such behavior, I.e. did they shrug it off as that's just him, did they play into it like it is regular, or did they become uncomfortable too?

I do agree - the process of coming out is consuming, and there is something good and healthy focusing on the other needs of life.

19. likethewind

likethewind Guest

I sensed they felt "that's just him," but I'm not sure everyone understood what was going on. I'm not going to dwell on it.

With all my current (straight) friends -- whether from my home, work, church, the gym, etc. -- the friendships clicked naturally. With the gay meetings/groups I've tried thus far, I haven't felt a connection -- I mainly feel people are trying to "sell" me on the out life. I believe they all mean well and sense some of them are really good guys -- but the "hard sellers" don't appeal to me at all.

Still not giving up -- just got to keep looking. And I also understand at least part of my lack of connection has to do with me -- but I'd still like to find a friend/group of friends that doesn't require so much effort.

20. likethewind

likethewind Guest

P.S. This whole process made me realize one more thing. I was wondering: Is there something my current friends and I all have in common? We know each other from different places, some of us have different backgrounds, etc. And I realize there is: We all have the same sense of humor. That was also true of the married guy who was in my life for a while.

So I realize I'll make gay friends when I find people I can laugh with. I find it interesting that I never realized this before...