1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When will we know if Prop 8 passed or not?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Fiender, Nov 4, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That Arkansas ballot measure is the worst. This not only hurts gay people but children as well. They would rather they be in foster homes than adopted by two people of the same sex.

2. Cheese Love

Although it's 52% and 48% on Proposition 8, there's only 5% left to count. :frowning2:

3. Ben

Ben

I agree. I think that one is awful.

4. Ryesright

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If every 1 in 10 Americans is Gay, as -some- statistics say, the Gay community is one of the most powerful minority populations in the United States of America given how much trouble we stir up with the religious and conservative right. I'll be saddened by California's failure to keep gay marriage legal in the State. However, I believe that by and large things are moving in the direction of equal rights for homosexuals and heterosexuals. This is just one of many battles in a war for rights. We lost California, but we still have Massachusetts and Connecticut. Furthermore, I don't think California is gone for good. I feel that the support for Prop 8 is going to enrage people all across the United States who are themselves, just like so many of us, opponents of the Proposition and yet were unable to vote. Maybe this will incline others like us to encourage gay marriage legislation in our own home states.

I hope so at least.

5. This can be defeated. It CAN be done. The LGBT community is probably the worlds most determined and dedicated minorities, we will have the same rights, and we will not be defeated, it's not in our nature. We get things done, we get things changed, and we'll do it.
    If I was American, I can't imagine how angry I'd be. I'm extremely lucky to be in the UK, the idea of a civil partnership is awesome, it holds the same value as marriage in the eyes of the law, so I'm very lucky, but if I was American, I would be angrier than what I am now, which, by the way is quite alot.
    They'll never take our pride.

6. Tim

Tim

We'd need pretty much every single vote that is left uncounted to be for No in order to win. VERY improbable, but not impossible.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Obama supports civil unions so that could very well be passed within his term as President. That would be huge. Right now we have people with domestic partnerships, civil unions, some marriages, nothing is equal. Most states have no legal recognition for same-sex couples. To get civil unions nationally would be moving in the right direction.

8. pirateninja

You have no idea just how fucking mad I am now. When I heard that Obama had been elected, my faith in the American people had actually been raised, and now, I get home to find this. I have plenty of religious friends, Christian, Muslim, Sikh and Jewish, and I'll tell you now, those people have enough SENSE to not let one fucking line in their holy books ruin their opinion of me. Because they have enough sense to realise that some laws are outdated, that customs were different when they were first written. They realise that I am not a bad person, that I'm not going to make their marriages any less holy, or convert their children, or make God hate them for supporting me. They have enough fucking sense to realise that I am a person who deserves the same rights as them. They have enough sense to realise that who I date does not make me inferior to them.

Anyone who voted Yes on 8, you are a homophobe. I don't care if you try to say that you're protecting fucking "Sanctity of marriage", because if you really were, you'd be out protesting divorce. You firmly believe that I and people like me are inferior, and you are just AFRAID. You use the same book that you used to protest black people marrying to protest us, and look what happened there. I swear to you, you homophobic motherfuckers, that we will not stop. Just watch, this is NOT over.

9. Holly Dahling, calm down. (*hug*)

This sucks big style. I don't really know what to say apart from; SHIT. Thats what this situation is. It's complete crap. We're all human, we're all made up of the same element and function in the same matter, we all deserve to live the life we deserve. This is discrimination on the highest level.
    But as Holly said, it will never be over until we get the chance to live the same life and have the same opportunities as the non-LGBT people in the world.

10. mattypants

omg.... waiting for these final votes realtime is nerverecking!

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Prop 8 is gonna pass :frowning2: *sob* But there's lots of hope in the future. The younger generation, 18-29, had 63% voting no (I think)... It's because a lot of the older people yes on proposition 8... however, the younger generation will replace the older generation. Homosexuality isn't looked down on today as much as it was and we're definitely going to receive more rights as time goes on :slight_smile:

12. I can't believe this happened :frowning2:

I'm so upset :frowning2:

13. Nugget

Proposition 8

Because my marriage just isn't sacred unless we have second-class partners in society.

And now that it passed, my husband will actually stay with me instead of eloping with a drag queen in Reno!!1 [/sarcasm]

I can tell you now that those were two of the reasons people voted yes.

14. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    A small glimmer of hope..........Of these 3 or 4 million absentee voters, alot of them are college students who support equality.

NO on Prop 8
    POST ELECTION STATEMENT

“Roughly 400,000 votes separate yes from no on Prop 8 – out of 10 million votes tallied.

Based on turnout estimates reported yesterday, we expect that there are more than 3 million and possibly as many as 4 million absentee and provisional ballots yet to be counted.

Given that fundamental rights are at stake, we must wait to hear from the Secretary of State tomorrow about how many votes are yet to be counted as well as where they are from.

It is clearly a very close election and we monitored the results all evening and this morning.

As of this point, the election is too close to call.

Because Prop 8 involves the sensitive matter of individual rights, we believe it is important to wait until we receive further information about the outcome.”

15. Mickey

It was decided that Mass.voters would not have the right to decide on our lives,but I'm worried about the implications.I hate to ask this but: what will be next? It's a sad,sad day for the LGBT community. :***: :tears:

One Question to Becky (i.e. mom!),(*hug*)

What can we all do to help fight this?

16. Tim

Tim

^ Encourage those that have legal claim to an absentee ballot to sign up for one and vote No?

Unless that deadline has already passed, not sure. Don't have legal claim to one, unless I claim going to the church was against my religious beliefs, which wouldn't hold well, considering I was at another church yesterday for my mom ~.~

17. Grof142007

1. I'm Beyond Piss im ROYAL PISS so i hope no Homophobic ppl come around me cause im might unleash my FURY Upon Them

2. It Ok that it Passed know why CAUSE THE OLDER HOMOPHOBIC GENERATION OVER POWER US but guess what come next election half of there number will be gone mUIHAHAHHA will rule once more we just have to be PATIENCE

3. Give it Time and will all Have equal right I KNOW IT cant u feel it?? Just look how far we have came. I 100% by the time i ready to get married it will be able XD

4. Im still ROYAL Pissed But there a a Erry Calm Behind it

18. VomAnderenUfer

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm more sick and sad than angry, but I agree with the sentiment of this post. The "I'm not a homophobe, it's just my religious belief that marriage is between a man and a woman" argument is complete BS. If you voted yes on 8, you are a homophobe. It doesn't matter if God himself told you to vote yes. Basing your opinion on poorly thought-out religious beliefs doesn't make it a respectable opinion, just like basing support for slavery on the corresponding biblical passages didn't make the opinion respectable.

More religious BS, which the current "pro-marriage" side is echoing:
    "Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, Malay and red, and He placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with His arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that He separated the races shows that He did not intend for the races to mix." - from the preliminary trial judge on the Loving vs. Virginia case, which was taken later to the Supreme Court, which ruled against all bans on interracial marriage.

But I firmly believe that history is repeating itself yet again. The short-sighted simply can't see that their prejudice against gays is exactly the same as any other prejudice: based on misunderstanding and fear, manifesting itself outwardly as hatred and prejudice. Nevertheless, this prejudice will gradually be recognized for what it is fundamentally. It will take time, but we have already seen the huge shift in opinion between the older generations and younger generations. We just have to keep pushing.

19. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    1) Join gay rights organizations like PFLAG and the Human Rights Campaign.

2) For those of you that haven't come out yet, come out! The more people know they have gay members in their families, the more they are likely to support gay rights.

3) Be active. Know the gay rights issues that go to your state legislature as well as those that are brought before the U.S. Senate and House. Write letters, e-mail, visit your capital and let these people who govern our country know what this means to you. If you are members of the groups mentioned, you will be notified regularily of upcoming issues. Marriage isn't the only thing at stake. We still do not have a National law that protects glbt people from discrimination. We still do not have hate crimes legislation. We have to end "Don't Ask, Don't Tell".

4) Educate everyone around you. You have to be open and talk about these issues with your friends and family. Most have no idea that gays are not protected from discrimination in most places.

Just be involved and stay active. That's what you can do. :slight_smile:

20. Nugget

I can bet that some of the people voting have no clue what they're doing and are quick to naïveté in the arguments supporting the proposition. But others are just plain dirty.

It's only slightly funny that a good majority of people voting for prop 8 are blacks and latinos, 98% of whom never having been discriminated by law! Whoopee!!!