1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Pride Tattoos and Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by UserName, Mar 31, 2010.

1. UserName

So, I've never had a tattoo before but I think that I am finally going to get one. I've always wanted one but told my self I would never get one unless it meant something to me. Anyways, as I was browsing the internet I came across this really cool image and I think that it would be great for a tattoo. I will probably get it on my back right shoulder and colored and whatnot just as is.

[​IMG]

I was wondering how much this tattoo would probably cost? As I said earlier it'd be on my shoulder and the tattoo should probably be no bigger than the image itself, and it will be in color. How long do you think it would take? And is there anything that I should be forewarned about prior to getting a tattoo?

Appreciate the advice and feel free to leave feedback!

2. Bame

Cool, I like the graphic!

For that size, you're probably looking at $100-200, and depending on the tattoo artist it'd probably take 1-2 hours.

Always do your research before getting something that will be with you forever. Although you may look at that design, and think, "it'd be hard to screw up". Trust me, it's a lot easier than you think.

Ask local people with impressive tattoos where they got them, and then visit those locations. Check out their establishment first.. Look at the cleanliness of the place and ask to see the artists portfolios. You're looking to make sure the artists take pride in their work.

A professional will do a carbon print type of thing to stamp the design on your skin before tattooing it on you. This is always a good idea so that you can make sure you like the size, position, angle etc. Not to mention, it's good for the artist to have exact lines to follow (less likely to make a mistake).

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck. Post pictures if/when you get it :slight_smile:

3. EWU2012

It really depends on who you go to. When I got my last tattoo one place said it would cost $250, another $300, and then also $380. I ended up going with the $380 because they are the best place in my town and well known. You really get what you pay for. If I was you I would go to different shops and see what place you like better. For that tattoo I would guess $150-$200 since it is in color and depending on the final size. I dont think it would take more than an hour. Maybe like 45 minutes with prep time. I dont really know what you should be forewarned about. Depending on your tolerence of pain it can hurt but from what I have heard the shoulder area isn't that bad. All three of mine are on my legs and were not that bad. With that said I really like the idea of this tattoo. I know it is something you will never regret because it means something. Good luck if you decide to get it.

4. donnie5

Yea you do have to shop around especially if it's your first tattoo sometimes those guys will overcharge because they know you don't have a clue. but the graphic is really cool i like it. just remember if you get a gay pride tattoo every time you go to the pool you eill have stupid people all ways saying "are you gay?" lol

5. UserName

Haha, yea I thought about that considering I was just at the pool the other day and I plan on getting this tattoo this weekend if everything works out. Granted I live in a college community apartment complex with a huge pool in South Carolina, I just don't think I'd really care too much about what someone has to say. Although it may become a nuisance, I'm always drinking at the pool with friends anyhow both guys and girls, so I don't think it'll be too big of a concern. And since it will be on my shoulder it won't be visible unless shirtless, so that's good.

The only things I am really concerned about is the durability of the tattoo. If I'm out at the pool will it peel or begin to fade? How does the color of the tattoo change upon getting a tan? Will I have to get it touched up frequently? Questions of those sorts, sorry for being vague.

Appreciate the time and help guys, and hopefully I will get it this weekend and I can post a picture :-D

6. donnie5

well right after you get the tattoo you should stay out of the sun until it heals completely that's when your tattoo is very vulnerable. but after it's completely healed the tattoo should be quite durable I have a tattoo on my leg that i have had for ten years an it has barley faded...

7. UserName

Awesome, how long does it typically take to heal? And I'm glad to hear that your tattoo has barely diminished after ten years.

8. Bame

Eek, well that's another thing. Tattoos take time to heal. You're looking at 2 weeks to 2 months. In that time you're not going to want to swim or let it hang out in direct sunlight. Sun is never good for tattoos, but you shouldn't let one stop you from enjoying yourself in the summer (after it's healed of course). Just be sure to use sunblock on it, and it should keep looking good for quite a while. I can't imagine you'd need a touch up for a long time. The lighter colors fade the fastest.. so you may need a touch up on the yellow first, in probably a few years or so.

9. Connor22

is that not the rise against logo only in rainbow? AWESOME I WANT ONE!

10. uptownboy

waw ! that image is surprisingly AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you must share it too us after you get tattoed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a nice graphic, I don't know how it will turn out in tattoo form. A good piece of advice I saw here was to for a year draw an approximation of the tattoo where you want it with a marker. If after a year you still want it, get it.

12. UserName

Hm, I think its a cool graphic too and I like the meaning behind it...but I can in some ways I can see how it may be perceived as provocative, some one told me their initial thought was being fisted, and another said it just wasn't a good idea based on the concept of the rise to power or whatever.

13. Chandra

I know this is a minor detail, but I don't like the white fingernail. It makes it look like a zombie hand or something.

14. Notreallysure

i have one and it faded pretty fast. it is just an outline in dark blue of something, but i got it about 2 years ago and it's already faded and bled out. i didn't do my research though, and the shop that i got it closed about 3 months later. i regret getting it there. i like the design. it's pretty cool, but like chandra said, the white finger nail is kind of creepy. good luck and let us know what you do!

15. Just Adam

i see that tattoo and all i think is red faction :the gay agenda

i LOVE it ! :grin:

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I don't see any harm in changing the fingernail to purple to match the background.

I have had friends say that greens and yellows on tattoos tend to fade fairly fast. So know that you might need to have it "touched up" a bit more often. And most importantly, do a lot of research before you get it done. Ask your tattooed friends where they got theirs done, and if they were happy with the work. You don't want to end up with something that looks like a chicken claw on your shoulder. :slight_smile:

Lex

17. Just Adam

ive always been told worst colour really is red as it kinda bleeds out going dull if not brownish :s and needs touching up, i can imagine greens the same.

i also agree about the nail i didnt notice at first but people saying zombie...please run away from that

18. EWU2012

I was just curious if you ever got this tattoo? Lately I have been thinking about getting a pride tattoo and remembered this post. Here are some examples of what I am thinking about getting. I'm curious as to which ones do you guys like best?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I don't really know why but I really like the Ankh symbol. I think the tattoo artist did a great job with shading the colors together.

19. Absentminded

I'm getting a pride tattoo tonight, I'm pretty pumped.
    If I were you, I don't think I'd put in a really public place, just to avoid conflict with people, because we all know how some people can be :dry:

And to EWU2010:
    I really like the 6 star tat, but they're all really nice. Good luck!

20. British Lad

British Lad Guest

for me i will never get a tattoo and if i do it will be a temporary onebecause what happens if you don't want it any more? you would have to have it lazered