1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My best friend hates me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by funkmonk, Dec 2, 2008.

1. funkmonk

Well he used to be my best friend.

I have known this friend for about 20 years starting in pre school we like the same thngs music,tv shows and sports.

Last few years hes changed a bit become selfish and less careing. Hes had a long term girl friend who i get along with great and shes now my best friend and if u read my coming out story shes the one i first came out too.

I never thought of him as homophobic but even though he told his g/f that he was ok with me being gay he dose now seem really homophobic it seems to me that he dose hate it.

I think he hates me and am haveing a hard time dealing with it. He makes me feel like shit sometimes and sometimes makes me wish i had never came out and friends shouldnt be doing that. :tears:

2. Trystan

awww that's horrible
    i really want to help or try and say somethign remotely helpful, but I can't think of anything :S
    so I'll just say, hang in there, wait a bit and just watch his behaviour. Maybe talk to his gf about it? He might have a problem with something else - there could be any amount of weird circumstances, so don't jump to any conclusions.
    anyway, after that long of steady friendship, would he really hate you? If my best friend turned out to be some crazy alien from a planet millions of light-years away and did weird sexual things with anything, I couldn't care,. They'd still be my friend because of whho they actually are inside.
    Also how long ago did you come out to him? It might have only just properly hit him. Not in a bad way, it might jsut take him a bit longer to get over the thought [shock] of it.

hope that helped a bit and/or didn't just make you feel worse :S

3. boredofnormal

You are right, friends shouldn't be doing that.

Sometimes people lash out irrationally to cover up their own issues. I had a time like that when I was extremely homophobic (its really embarrasing now to even admit that) because I couldn't admit to myself that I had same-sex attractions and my circle of friends were dead-set against anything remotely related to 'gay'. I played along for acceptance from my peers and to hide what I was going through inside.

If you can stay open to him and demonstrate to him that you haven't changed, still like the same things, and forgive him for his bad attitude he may come around. I've said before, that when we come out we have to grieve the loss of the identity we had before we admitted it to ourselves. He is probably grieving and deserves time to allow it to process.

With that said, I want to add: Don't put yourself in a position where you will be constantly hurt by him either. Give him some space but don't totally avoid him. Let him know that you still value him as a person and hope that you can maintain your friendship.

Good luck, keep us posted.
    Tim

4. funkmonk

Thanks for the reply.

My friend found out i was gay last year so hes had time to deal with it. He just dosent seem to care he says some cocky comment about me being gay. He really moans if we are out and we go to a gay bar and his g.f who really supports me she says we are going for my sake but he dosent care.

5. boredofnormal

Find other folks to go to gay events with and enjoy your friend for what you do have in common (like you used too...before you came out). My straight friends are not comfortable with me in all-gay activities, so I don't see that as unusual.

Its OK to have different friends who like different things. If you can enjoy the best of all of them your life is just that much richer.

6. Trystan

hmm that's pretty harsh i guess
    he might not realise how different life can become when you discover you're gay, and might not like the idea of being surrounded by people different to him? Lots of people are like this; they can cope with one or two of their close friends being outside of their "comfort zone", but when everyone in sight's like it it might weird him out.
    To be fair, I'd be pretty uncomfortable going to some kind of club only full of straight couples :S

I''m sure deep down, he does care. Like boredofnormal said, he's using arrogance and anger and spite to cover up whatever else he might be feeling. Perhaps he feels you are getting too close to his gf/closer to her than him? Perhaps there's problems at work or in his family or anywhere else. These could all trigger weird emotions and comments towards you - because you're different. Not that he sees you're different and thinks, "I could use him to outlet all my anger and frustration", but just because. You're a break in the norm to how his world is built, and he thinks he's found the weak spot. Well, don't let that happpen. If it goes on, challenge it. Probably better if you do it with his gf there.

This is only speculation, and I'm not saying he's purposely picking on you, or that your orientation's a problem. Hell, I'm like it, we're alll like it! I'm just offering possibilites for you to think about ...

that was ramble number 78 I think. Hope it meant something

7. MOS KONIG

MOS KONIG Guest

Same situation here. Just more hatefull.

8. funkmonk

Thanks for the replys x